Nutrition Problems during the Weaning Period — The Utilization of Local Foods
As we all know, the problems of nutrition during the weaning period are complex and sometimes misunderstood. Moreover there seems to be no real agreement over the true definition of weaning. However, in this paper, weaning period is presumed to mean the transitional period following lactation and the full dependence of the child on non-milk products. During this period the child is exposed to various food commodities which depend on the resources within the locality under consideration.
KeywordsCorn Flour Experimental Diet Basal Diet Protein Efficiency Ratio Dietary Sample
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akinrele, I.A. A Biochemical Study of the Traditional Method of Preparation of Ogi and its effects on the nutritive value of corn. Ph. D. Thesis, Univ. of Ibadan, 1966.Google Scholar
- 2.Collis, W.R.F., I.S. Dema and A. Omololu. The Ecology of Child Nutrition in Nigeria villages. Trop. Geogr. Med. 14: 140, 1962.Google Scholar
- 3.Akínrele, I.A., O. Adeyinka, C.C.A. Edwards, F.O. Olatunji, J.A. Dina and O.A. Koleoso. The Development and Production of Soy-Ogi. F.I.I.R. Research Report no. 42. Lagos, Nigeria, Federal Ministry of Industries, 1970.Google Scholar
- 5.Butler, W.H. and J.M. Barnes. Toxic Effects on Groundnut Meal containing Aflatoxin to rats and guinea pigs. Br. J. Cancer 17: 699, 1964.Google Scholar
- 6.Canaghan, R.B.A. and K. Sargent. The toxicity of certain Groundnut Meals to Poultry. Vet. Record 73: 726, 1961.Google Scholar
- 7.Newberne, P.M. Carcinogenicity of Aflatoxin - contaminated peanut meals. in: “Mycotoxins in Foodstuffs”, G.N. Wogan (ed.), M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.Bernhart, F.W. and R.M. Tomarelli. A Salt Mixture Supplying National Research Council Estimates of the Mineral Requirements of the Rat. J. Nutr. (U.S.), 89: 495, 1966.Google Scholar
- 9.Rose, W.C. and R.L. The Amino-acid requirement of man. XIII. The sparing effect of cystine on the methionine requirement. J. Biol. Chem. 216: 763, 1955.Google Scholar
- 10.Scrimshaw, N.S., R. Bressani, M. Behar and F. Viteri. Effect of amino acid supplementation of corn-masa at high levels of protein intake on the nitrogen retention of young children. J. Nutr. (U.S.) 66: 485, 1958.Google Scholar
- 11.Hegsted, D.M. and B.O. Juliano. Difficulties in assessing the nutritional quality of rice protein. J. Nutr. (U.S.), 104: 772, 1974.Google Scholar