Cardiac Thromboembolism: Evidence for Role of Platelets and Value of Platelet Suppressant Therapy
Thromboembolism remains a frequent and serious problem in cardiac patients. Methods to identify the thrombosis prone patient and the identification of safe and effective forms of treatment would be of great value.
The accumulating evidence which indicates that abnormalities in platelet tests are often present in cardiac patients and may help identify those at greatest risk of thrombosis is encouraging. It suggests that patients with cardiac disease are desirable groups for investigation. It also indicates that the platelet survival test may be useful as a reference against which new and more practical tests can be compared, as well as a means to identify useful platelet suppressant drugs or to monitor the effects of these drugs.
KeywordsOral Anticoagulant Prosthetic Valve Rheumatic Heart Disease Prosthetic Heart Valve Mitral Valve Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Genton E, Steele PP: Platelets, drugs and heart disease. In PLATELETS, DRUGS AND THROMBOSIS, edited by Hirsh J, Cade J, Gallus A, Schonbaum E. Basel, Karger, 1975.Google Scholar
- 5.Genton E, Steele PP: Platelet survival: Value for the diagnosis of thromboembolism and evaluation of antithrombotic drugs. PROCEEDINGS OF INT’L. SYMPOSIUM ON PLATELETS AND THROMBOSIS, Milan, 1976. (In Press)Google Scholar
- 6.Genton E, Gent M, Hirsh J, Harker LA: Platelet-inhibiting drugs in the prevention of clinical thrombotic disease. N ENGL J MED 293:1174–1178, 1236–1240 and 1296–1300, 1975.Google Scholar
- 8.Group of Physicians of the Newcastle upon Tyne Region: Trial of clofibrate in the treatment of ischaemic heart disease. BR MED J 4:767–775, 1971.Google Scholar
- 12.Breddin K, Uberla K, Walter E: German-Austrian multicenter two-year prospective study on the prevention of secondary myocardial infarction by ASA in comparison to phenprocoumon and placebo. THROMB HAEMOSTAS 38: 168, 1977 (Abstract).Google Scholar
- 13.McEnany MT, DeSanctis RW, Harthorne JW, Mundth ED, Weintraub RM, Austen WG, Salzman EW: Effect of antithrombotic therapy on aortocoronary vein graft patency rates. CIRCULATION 54 (Suppl II): 2–124, 1976 (Abstract).Google Scholar
- 18.Taguchi K, Matsumura H, Washizu T, et al.: Effect of athrombogenic therapy, especially high dose therapy of dipyridamole, after prosthetic valve replacement. J CARDIOVASC SURG 16: 8–15, 1975.Google Scholar