The Concept of Feeding Fish
Fish farming is believed to have been practiced in China as early as 2000 b.c., and a classical account of the culture of common carp was written by Fan Lei in 475 b.c. (Villaluz 1953). The Romans built fishponds during the First Century a.d. and during the Middle Ages fishpond building was spread throughout Europe by religious men (Lovell, Shell, and Smitherman 1978). Carp farming in Eastern European countries was popular in the 12th and 13th centuries. In Southeast Asia, fishponds were believed to have evolved naturally along with salt-making in coastal areas; the salt beds were utilized to grow milkfish during the rainy season. This practice was originated by the Malay natives before a.d. 1400 (Schuster 1952). Early interest in fish culture in the United States was carried over from England before 1800 and was concentrated on propagation and culture of trout and salmon.
KeywordsCommon Carp Grass Carp Broiler Chicken Channel Catfish Fish Culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BROWNING, M. A., D. L. HUFFMAN, W. R. EGBERT, and W. R. JONES. 1988. Proceedings of Reciprocal Meat Conference, Chicago, IL (In press).Google Scholar
- LOVELL, R. T., E. W. SHELL, and R. O. SMITHERMAN. 1978. Progress and prospects in fish farming, 262–290. New York: Academic Press, Inc.Google Scholar
- National Research Council. 1983. Nutrient requirements of warmwater fishes and shellfishes. Washington, DC: National Research Council/National Academy of Sciences.Google Scholar
- PRINCE, T. J., D. L. HUFFMAN, P. M. BROWN, and J. R. GILLESPIE. 1987. Effects of ractopamine on growth and carcass composition of finishing pigs. J. Animal Sci. Suppl 1, Vol. 65.Google Scholar
- SCHUSTER, W. H. 1952. Proceedings Indo-Pacific Fish Council, Special Publication 1. Southeast Asian Fisheries Development Center, Cloilio, Philippines.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture. 1983. Composition of foods: pork products. Agriculture Handbook No. 8–10, p. 23.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Agriculture. 1986. Composition of foods: beef products. Agriculture Handbook No. 8–13, p. 41.Google Scholar
- VILLALUZ, D. K. 1953. Fish farming in the Philippines. Manila, Philippines: Bookman Co.Google Scholar