The Stereo Long-Playing (LP) Record
The Stereo LP is rapidly declining in sales due to the immense success of the compact disc. Since 1947 to the present, however, the LP has represented a long period of compatibility between product and players in the history of consumer audio, exceeded only by the era of the 78-rpm disc in the early part of this Century.
KeywordsNickel Attenuation Mold Vinyl Sine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Bogantz and J. Ruda, “Analog Disk Recording and Reproduction,” Chapter 8 in K. Benson, Audio Engineering Handbook, McGrawiHill, New York (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.D. Braschoss, “Disc Cutting Machine—Computer Controlled,” Radio Mentor (October 1966).Google Scholar
- 3.J. Eargle, “Record Defects,” Stereo Review (June 1967).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Eargle, “Performance Characteristics of the Commercial Stereo Disc,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 17, no. 4 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.E. Fox and J. Woodward, “Tracing Distortion—Its Cause and Correction in Stereo Disc Recording,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 11, no. 4 (1963).Google Scholar
- 6.F. Hirsch and S. Temmer, “A Real-Time Digital Processor for Disc Mastering Lathe Control,” presented at the 60th Convention, Audio Engineering Society, May, 1978.Google Scholar
- 7.R. Narma and N. Anderson, “A New Stereo Feedback Cutterhead System,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 7, no. 4 (1959).Google Scholar
- 8.C. Nelson and J. Stafford, “The Westrex 3D Stereo Disk System,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 12, no. 3 (1964).Google Scholar
- 9.O. Read and W. Welch, From Tin-Foil to Stereo, H. Sams, Indianapolis (1958).Google Scholar
- 10.J. Stafford, “Maximum Peak Velocity Capabilities of the Disc Record”, J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 8, no. 3 (1960).Google Scholar
- 11.J. Woodward and E. Fox, “A Study of Program-Level Overloading in Phonograph Recording,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 11, no. 1 (1963).Google Scholar
- 12.Disk Recording, Volumes 1 (1980) and 2 (1981), Audio Engineering Society, New York.Google Scholar