Extremal Surfaces of Mixed Type in Minkowski Space Rn+1
A connected 2-dimensional submanifold in Minkowski space is called a surface of mixed type if it contains a space-like part and a time-like part simultaneously. In the present paper we consider the extremal surfaces of mixed type in Minkowski space R n+1.
The time-like part and space-like part are separated by a null-curve.
The surface is analytic not only on the space-like part but also in some mixed region.
There is an explicit algorithm for the construction of all these extremal surfaces of mixed type globally, starting from given analytic curves in R n.
The same results for 3-dimensional Minkowski space were obtained earlier [G2], [G3].
KeywordsMixed Type Minkowski Space Curvature Vector Real Analytic Function Extremal Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Ba]Barbashov, B.M., Nesternko, V. V. and Chervyakov, A. M., General solutions of nonlinear equations in the geometric theory of the relativistic string, Commun. M.th. Phys. 34, 1982, 471–481.Google Scholar
- [G1]Gu, C.H., On the motion of strings in a curved space-time,Proc. of 3rd Grossmann meeting on general relativity.Google Scholar
- [G3]Gu, C.H., A Global study of extremal surfaces in 3-dimensional Minkowski spaces, Proc. DD6 symposium, Lect. Notes in Math. 1255, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York 1985, 26–33.Google Scholar
- [M]Milnor, T., Harmonically immersed Lorentz surfaces, Geometro-dynamics, Proc. 1985 Corenza, 201–213. preprint, 1986.Google Scholar
- [O]Ossermann, R., A survey of minimal surfaces, 1969.Google Scholar