Effects of Lipoxins A and B on Functional Responses of Human Granulocytes
The effects of synthetic lipoxin A and B (LXA and LXB) as well as several of their isomers were assessed as inducers of functional responses of human granulocytes. LXA stimulated migration at 1 nM and exhibited a variable effect as inducer of chemiluminescence at concentrations ≥ 1 μM. Both migration and chemiluminescence evoked by LXA proved to be highly stereospecific, since e.g. 6S-LXA was less active than LXA. Neither synthetic LXA nor several of its stereoisomers provoked degranulation, aggregation, membrane potential changes or intracellular calcium fluxes. In addition, LXB and its isomers did not stimulate aggregation, degranulation or chemiluminescence. Pretreatment of granulocytes with LXA did not modify subsequent challenges with leukotriene B4. Together, these results indicate that granulocyte responses to LXA are highly stereospecific and are mediated by other mechanisms than those evoked by leukotriene B4.
KeywordsMembrane Potential Change Spontaneous Migration Elastase Release Intracellular Calcium Flux Lung Strip
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Palmblad J, Malmsten CL, Udén A-M, RAdmark 0, Engstedt L, Samuelsson B: Leukotriene B4 is a potent and stereospecific stimulator of neutrophil chemotaxis and adherence. Blood 44: 37, 1981.Google Scholar
- 11.Dahlén SE, Raud J, Serhan CN, Björk J, Samuelsson B: Biological activities of lipoxin A includes lung strip contraction and dilation of arterioles in vivo. Acta Physiol Scand 1987, in press.Google Scholar
- 17.Nicolaou KC, Webber SE: Stereocontrolled total synthesis of lipoxins B. Int J Methods Synth Org Chem 6: 453, 1986.Google Scholar
- 20.Metcalf JA, Gallin JI, Nauseef WM, Root RK: Laboratory manuel of neutrophil function. Raven Press, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- 25.Serhan CN, Bamberg M, Samuelsson B: Novel mechanisms in the arachidonic acid cascade: formation of lipoxins. In Adv Inflammation Res (ed F Russo-Marie et al). Raven Press, New York 10:117, 1985.Google Scholar
- 27.Palmblad J, Gyllenhammar H, Ringertz B, Serhan CB, Samuelsson B: The effects of lipoxin A and lipoxin B on functional responses of human granulocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, in press.Google Scholar