Participation of Kallikrein, Coagulation/Fibrinolysis Parameters in the Development of Glomerulonephritis
Masugi nephritis was induced in dogs in which platelet count, fibrinogen, antithrombin activity, plasma prekallikrein and immediate plasmin inhibitors were coincidentally decreased immediately after the injection of nephrotoxic serum. It was found that the grade of decrease of urinary kallikrein excretion following these immediate reactions were parallel with the grade of renal damages. By the pretreatment with heparin or the defibrination with snake venom, however, the histological findings of Masugi nephritis showed rather severe damage.
Based on the consumption of coagulation factors, kallikrein, kinin and their inhibitors in the development of this nephritis, it was postulated that inauguration of coagulation and activation of kallikrein contributed to the development of glomerulonephritis. The treatment or prevention of this coagulation process with heparin or snake venom, however, gave untoward effects on the pathological process in this experiment.
KeywordsSnake Venom Coagulation Process Proliferative Glomerulonephritis Crescent Formation Antithrombin Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cade, J.R., G.R. Spooner, E. Schlein, M. Pickering, A.M. DeQuesada A. Holcomb, L. Juncos, G. Richard, D. Shires, D. Levin, R. Hackett J. Free, R. Hunt and M. Fregly, 1973, Comparison of azathioprine, prednisone, and heparin alone or combined in treating lupus nephritis, Nephron 10, 37.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Michilson, P. and R. Verberckmoe, Treatment of proteinuria with an anti-inflammatory drug, 1966, in: Abstr. II. Int. Cong. Nephrol. ( Washington. D.C. ) P. 243.Google Scholar
- Nakamura, K., 1977, The role of coagulation and fibrinolysis in the development of renal disease, Jap. J. Nephrol. 19, 947.Google Scholar
- Vassalli, P1 and R.T. McCluskey, 1964-a, The pathogenetic role of fibrin deposition in immunologically induced glomerulonephritis, Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 116, 1052.Google Scholar
- Vassalli., P. and R.T. McCluskey, 1964-b, the pathogenetic role of coagulation process in rabbit Masugi nephritis, Am. J. Path, 45, 653.Google Scholar
- Vassalli, P. and R.T. McCluskey, The pathogenetic role of the coagulation process in glomerular diseases of immunologic origin, 1971, in: Advances in Nephrology, Vol 1, eds. J. Hamburger, J. Crosnier and M.H. Maxwell ( Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago ) p. 47.Google Scholar