Estimation of Urinary Kininogenase Activity Using Bovine Serum Low Molecular Weight Kininogen
Estimation of urinary kininogenase activity by radioimmunoassay of generated kinin was studied. Bovine serum low molecular weight kininogen was proved not to cross-react with kallidin antibody and also bradykinin antibody. This kininogen was used as substrate measuring urinary kininogenase activity. Separation of released kinin from the kininogen was not required in the present method. Urinary kallikrein activity was found to be significantly decreased in essential hypertension, in chronic glomerulonephritis and in patients who had received renal transplantation. On the contrary, an increase in urinary kallikrein was found in primary aldosteronism and in Bartter’s syndrome. The present method was very useful for measuring kininogenase activity.
KeywordsPolyethylene Glycol Arginine Prostaglandin Charcoal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carretero, O.A., N.B. Oza, A. Piwonska, T. Ocholik and A.G. Scicli,1976. Measurement of urinary kallikrein activity by kinin radioimmunoassay. Biochem. Pharmacol. 25: 2265.Google Scholar
- Carretero, O.A., V.M. Amin, T. Ocholik, A.G. Scicli and J. Koch, 1978. Urinary kallikrein in rats bred for their susceptibility and resistance to the hypertensive effect of salt. Circ. Res. 42: 727.Google Scholar
- Dahl, L.K., M. Heine and L. Tassinary, 1962. Effects of chronic excess salt ingestion: Evidence that genetic factors play an important role in susceptibility to experimental hypertension J. Exp. Med. 115: 1173.Google Scholar
- Halushka, P.U., H. Wohltmann, P.J. Privitera, G. Hurwitz and H.S. Margolius, 1977. Bartter’s syndrome: Urinary prostaglandin E-like material and kallikrein; Indomethacin effects. Ann. Int. Med. 87: 281.Google Scholar
- Johnston, C.I., P.G. Mathews and E. Dax, 1976. Renin-angiotensin and kallikrein-kinin systems in sodium homeostasis and hypertension. Clin. Sci. Mol. Med. 51: Suppl. 3, 283.Google Scholar
- Lechi, A., G. Covi, C. Lechi, F. Mantero and L.A. Scuro, 1976. Urinary kallikrein excretion in Bartter’s syndrome. J. Clin. Endocinol. Metab. 43: 1175.Google Scholar
- Margolius, H.S., R. Geller and J.J. Pisano, 1971. Altered urinary kallikrein excretion in human hypertension. Lancet 2: 1063.Google Scholar
- Matsuda, Y., H. Moriya, C. Moriwaki, Y. Fujimoto and M. Mastuda, 1976. Fluorometric method for assay of kallikrein-like arginine esterases. J. Biochem. 79: 1197.Google Scholar
- Nustak, K., 1970. The relationship between kidney and urinary kininogenase. Brit. J. Pharmac. 39: 73.Google Scholar
- Suzuki, T., Y. Mizushima, T. Sato and S. Iwanaga, 1965. Purification of bovine bradykinin. J. Biochem. 57: 14.Google Scholar