Medical Uses of Acoustical Holography
Early investigation of the potential of acoustical holography as a new modality for soft tissue diagnosis has suggested a number of possible medical applications. At the same time this work has revealed a lack of basic understanding of ultrasonics and soft tissue interactive effects using through transmission imaging.
KeywordsFocal Plane Critical Angle Interface Effect Ultrasonic Image Acoustic Absorption
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Weiss, L. and E.D. Holyoke, “Detection of Tumors in Soft Tissues by Ultrasonic Holography,” Surg. Gyn. Obst. 128(5) :953 (1969) .Google Scholar
- 3.Holbrooke, D.R. , H. Shibata, B. Hruska, E.M. McCurry, and E. Miller, “Diagnostic Holography — a Feasibility Study,” in Acoustical Holography, Vol. 2, A.F. Metherell and L. Larmore, eds. , Springer Science+Business Media New York, pp. 251–263(1969) .Google Scholar
- 4.Holbrooke, D.R. , E. McCurry, V. Richards, and H. Shibata, “Acoustical Holography for Surgical Diagnosis,” Annals of Surgery (Oct. 1973, in press) .Google Scholar
- 5.Holbrooke, D.R. , E.M. McCurry, V. Richards, and H. Shibata, “Through Transmission Ultrasonic Imaging of Intrauterine and Fetal Structures Using Acoustical Holography,” Proceedings, 2nd World Cong. of Ultrasonics in Medicine, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (in press) .Google Scholar
- 6.Smith, Moody, “Imaging of Biological Structures Using the Principles of Holography,” in Proceedings, Conf. on Engineering in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 9, Paper No. 10. 7, Springer Science+Business Media New York (1967) .Google Scholar
- 7.Green, P.S. , L.F. Schaefer and A. Macovski, “Considerations for Diagnostic Ultrasonic Imaging,” in Acoustical Holography, Vol. 4, Glen Wade, ed. , Springer Science+Business Media New York, pp. 97–111 (1972) .Google Scholar
- 8.Brenden, B.B. , “Ultrasonic Holography: a Practical System,” in Proceedings of a Japan-U.S. Seminar on Pattern Information Processing in Ultrasonic Imaging, Springer Science+Business Media New York (in press) .Google Scholar
- 9.Hildebrand, B.P. and B.B. Brenden, An Introduction to Acoustical Holography, Springer Science+Business Media New York (1972) .Google Scholar
- 10.Acoustical Holography, Vol. 1 (1969) , Vol. 2 (1970) , Vol. 3 (1971) , Vol. 4 (1972) , Springer Science+Business Media New York.Google Scholar