Fourier Determination of the Hole Wavefunctions in P-Type Modulation Doped Quantum Wells by Resonant Raman Scattering
We determine the electronic structure of p-type modulation doped quantum wells by resonant Raman scattering and using self consistent envelope function calculations. We demonstrate that closely spaced electronic energy levels in wide quantum wells can be determined with high precision from resonant Raman measurements. We determine the conduction band non-parabolicity experimentally and theoretically. We show that the height of sharp resonant peaks in the Raman scattering cross section as a function of laser energy is related to the transition matrix elements and yields the Fourier components of the hole wavefunction in terms of the electron wavefunctions. The hole wavefunction determined experimentally agrees reasonably well with the results of the calculations.
KeywordsResonance Peak Transition Matrix Element Raman Resonance Electron Wavefunctions Subband Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.G. Abstreiter, M. Cardona and A. Pinczuk, in Light Scattering in Solids IV, Topics in Applied Physics Series, Vol. 54, edited by M. Cardona and G. Güntherodt ( Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1984 ), p. 5Google Scholar
- 6.A. Pinczuk, H. L. Störmer, A. C. Gossard and W. Wiegmann, in Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors, ed. by J. D. Chadi and W. Harrison ( Springer Verlag, New York, 1985 ), p. 329Google Scholar
- 8.D. Heiman, A. Pinczuk, A. C. Gossard, A. Fasolino and M. Altarelli, in Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors, ed. by O. Engström, ( World Scientific, Singapore, 1987 ), p. 617Google Scholar
- 18.U.Ekenberg, to be published.Google Scholar
- 19.G. Fasol, to be publishedGoogle Scholar