Controlled Release of Metribuzin, 2,4-D, and Model Aromatic Amines from Polysaccharides and Poly(Vinyl Alcohol)
In our continuing investigations of polymeric controlled-release herbicides,1–5 we report preliminary results on biodegradable polysaccharides and poly(vinyl alcohol) with pendent herbicides or model amines joined via carbamate or ester bonds. Studies of similar systems with polysaccharides or poly(vinyl alcohol) with pendent carboxy-functional herbicides have been reported.6–9 Additionally Gebelein10 has reviewed the reactions of poly(vinyl alcohol), including the reaction with phenyl isocyanate.
KeywordsAromatic Amine American Chemical Society Vinyl Alcohol Phenyl Isocyanate Cumulative Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C.L. McCormick, D.K. Lichatowich, and M.M. Fooladi, in: “Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium on Controlled-Release of Bioactive Materials,” F.E. Brinckmann and J.A. Montemarano, eds., University of Akron (1978). p. 3. 6.Google Scholar
- 4.C.L. McCormick and M.M. Fooladi, in: “Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Controlled Release of Bioactive Materials,” R.W. Baker, ed., The Controlled Release Society, Inc., Dayton (1979). p. III - 27.Google Scholar
- 5.C.L. McCormick, D.K. Lichatowich, J.A. Pelezo, and K.W. Anderson, in: “Modification of Polymers,” ACS Symposium Series #121, C.E. Carraher and M. Tsuda, eds., American Chemical Society, Washington (1980). p. 371.Google Scholar
- 6.A.N. Neogi, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Washington (1970).Google Scholar
- 7.R.M. Wilkins, in: “Proceedings of the 1976 Controlled Release Pesticide Symposium,” N.F. Cardarelli, ed., University of Akron (1976). p. 7. 1.Google Scholar
- 8.G.G. Allan, TAPPI 54: 1293 (1971).Google Scholar
- 9.G.G. Allan, J.W. Beer, and M.J. Cousin, in: “Controlled Release Pecticides,” ACS Symposium Series #53, H.B. Scher, ed., American Chemical Society, Washington (1977). p. 94.Google Scholar
- 10.C.G. Gebelein and K.E. Burnfield, in: “Modification of Polymers,” ACS Symposium Series #131, C.E. Carraher and M. Tsuda, eds., American Chemical Society, Washington (1980). p. 83.Google Scholar
- 11.J.A. Pelezo, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Southern Mississippi, (1979).Google Scholar
- 12.Levenspiel, in: “Chemical Reaction Engineering,” 2nd ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York (1972). pp. 58–62, 177–178.Google Scholar