Diseases and Parasites of Poultry
The art and science of poultry disease control is as complex, variable, and confounded with as many apparently unrelated events as is the practice of human medicine. As more birds are grown in more concentrated areas and in tighter confinement, new disease problems appear and old ones sometimes reoccur. Fortunately, for the average poultryman, good management, the ability to detect disease or parasite problems at an early stage, and the knowledge and judgment to know when and where to go for help when needed should make it possible for him or her to cope successfully with most disease and parasite problems. In this chapter an attempt will be made to present the causes of disease and the basic concepts of disease prevention and control along with examples of the most serious and prevalent poultry diseases.
KeywordsPoultry Meat Young Bird Infected Bird Poultry House Mycoplasma Gallisepticum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biester, H. E., and Schwartze, L. H. 1965. Diseases of Poultry, 5th Edition. Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames, IA.Google Scholar
- Harris, J. R. 1965. Vaccination Can Prevent These Diseases. Poultry Science and Technology Guide No. 2, NCSU, Raleigh, NC.Google Scholar
- Harris, J. R. 1967. Coccidiosis Control in Layers. Poultry Science and Technology Guide No. 3, NCSU, Raleigh, NC.Google Scholar
- Harris, J. R. 1971. Sanitation and Isolation of Poultry Houses. Poultry Science and Technology Guide No. 4, NCSU, Raleigh, NC.Google Scholar
- Harris, J. R. 1984. Mycoplasma gallisepticum. Poultry Science and Technology Guide No. 1, NCSU, Raleigh, NC.Google Scholar
- Hofstad, M. S. et al 1972. Diseases of Poultry, 7th Edition. Iowa State Univ. Press, Ames, IA.Google Scholar
- Marsh, G. A. 1965. Poultry Diseases. Poultry Production in Ohio. Ohio State Univ., Columbus, OH.Google Scholar
- North, M. O. 1984. Commercial Chicken Production Manual, 3rd Edition. AVI Publishing Company, Westport, CT.Google Scholar
- Patrick, H., and Schaible, P. J. 1980. Poultry Feeds and Nutrition, 2nd Edition. AVI Publishing Company, Westport, CT.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, D. M. 1977. Poultry Health Handbook, 2nd Edition. The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA.Google Scholar