Project Rover Liquid Hydrogen Safety—A Five Year Look
Liquid hydrogen has been used by the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory on Project Rover since 1959. An early involvement in liquid hydrogen safety was the preparation of a set of instructions to drivers hauling liquid hydrogen to Jackass Flats. By the end of 1960, over 70,000 gal of liquid were received at Test Cell “A” at Jackass Flats. This liquid was vaporized by a stationary Linde pump vaporizer installation and stored at 3500 psi in the tank farm. The first dewars for liquid hydrogen storage were constructed in 1961, and the following shows the trend in dewar capacity and usage of LH2.
KeywordsTest Cell Fire Department Liquid Hydrogen Safety Valve Tank Farm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. F. Hammel, in: Advances in Cryogenic Engineering, Vol. 9, Plenum Press, New York (1964), p.11.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Reider, H. J. Otway, and H. T. Knight, Pyrodynamics, 2:249 (1965).Google Scholar
- 5.“A Tabulation of Quantity-Distances for LH2,” compiled by Safety Office, Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory (1964).Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. Braidech, “The 1944 Cleveland East Ohio Gas Disaster,” presented at the 13th Annual Meeting of the Society of Fire Protection Engineers (1963), p. 19.Google Scholar