B-Mode Ultrasound Imaging Characterization of Atherosclerosis
At present, prevention of atherosclerosis, or the effective inhibition of the lesion progression, remains a primary medical research objective (1). In the past 50 years efforts have been made to study and understand the atherosclerotic process, and have resulted in several achievements in basic sciences, epidemiology and medical management of the disease. Using experimental and animal models, specific therapies have been developed and tested and offer promising perspectives. However, it would be of great help to detect the morphological characteristics of atherosclerosis non-invasively and during plaque evolution in human arteries.
KeywordsAtherosclerotic Plaque Carotid Plaque Ultrasonic Image Fibrous Plaque Bogalusa Heart Study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. E. Strandness, Workshop overview, in: Clinical Diagnosis of Atherosclerosis, M. G. Bond, W. Insull, S. Glagov, A. B. Chandler and J.F. Cornhill, eds., p. 1, Springer-Verlag Inc., New York (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.J. F. Greenleaf, Tissue Characterization with Ultrasound, CRC Press Inc., Boca Raton (FL) (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.R. B. Rutherford, Evaluation and selection of patients for vascular surgery, in: Vascular Surgery, R. B. Rutherford, ed., p. 11, W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia (1989).Google Scholar
- 7.J. J. Ricotta, F. A. Bryan, M. G. Bond, A. Kurtz, D. H. O’Leary, J. K. Raines, A. S. Berson, M. E. Clouse, M. Calderon-Ortiz, J. F. Toole, J. A. DeWeese, S. N. Smullens, and N. F. Gustafson, Multicenter validation study of real-time (B-Mode) ultrasound, arteriography, and pathologic examination, J Vase Surg 6:512 (1987).Google Scholar
- 9.C. K. Zarins and S. Glagov, Artery wall pathology in atherosclerosis, in: R.B. Rutherford, Vascular Surgery, p. 178, W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia (1989).Google Scholar
- 14.E. Picano, L. Landini, F. Lattanzi, C. Michelassi, M. Salvadori, F. Santarelli, A. Distante, A, L’Abbate, Ultrasonic tissue characterization of atherosclerosis: State of the art 1988, J Nucl Med & Allied Sciences 32:174 (1988).Google Scholar
- 15.Statgraphics: Statistical graphic system. Statistical Graphic Corporation, New York (1986).Google Scholar
- 17.D. J. Skorton, R. C. Chivers and S. M. Collins, Ultrasonic tissue characterization in cardiology. Am J Noninvas Cardiol 1:88 (1987).Google Scholar