An Experimental Assessment of Continuum Models of Dendritic Growth
Experimental evidence pertinent to theories of needle crystals (dendrites) based on continuum models is reviewed and assessed critically. Some predictions, such as the dependence of the growth state on crystalline anisotropy, have not been convincingly demonstrated, and the models may not be appropriate in all cases, for example when kinetic effects are important. On the other hand, the continuum models provide an internally consistent explanation for many of the observations, including some related to sidebranching.
KeywordsContinuum Model Dendritic Growth Kinetic Effect Liquid Crystal Phasis Needle Crystal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.S. Langer, in Chance and Matter, ed. by J. Souletie, J. Vannimenus, and R. Stora (Elsevier, New York, 1987), p. 629; and Science 243, 1150 (1989).Google Scholar
- S.-C. Huang and M.E. Glicksman, Acta Metall. 29, 701 and 717 (1981).Google Scholar
- W.W. Mullins and R.F. Sekerka, J. Appl. Phys. 34, 323 (1963) and 35, 444 (1964).Google Scholar
- V. Pines, M. Zlatkowski, and A. Chait, Phys. Rev. A 42, 6129 and 6137 (1990).Google Scholar
- D. Kessler, in Proceedings of the Conference on Asymptotics Beyond All Orders, ed. by S. Tanveer (Plenum, 1991), to appear. A different approach to the effect of non-axisymmetry on state selection has been given by Y. Miata, S.H. Tirmizi, and M.E. Glicksman, “Dendritic growth with interfacial energy anisotropy,” J. Cryst. Growth (1991), to appear.Google Scholar
- A. Dougherty, Surface tension anisotropy and the dendritic growth of pivalic acid, J. Cryst. Growth (1991), in press.Google Scholar
- J. Maurer, B. Perrin, and P.Tabeling, Three dimensional structure of href="http://nilj.br/">NH4Br dendrites growing out of a gel (1990), preprint.Google Scholar
- M. Ben Amar, private communication.Google Scholar
- E. Raz, S.G. Lipson, and E. Ben-Jacob, Meta-ordering observed during dendritic growth of ammonium chloride crystals in thin layers (1990), preprint.Google Scholar
- [32c]B. Caroli, C. Caroli, and B. Roulet, J. Phys. Paris 48, 1423 (1987).Google Scholar