Gravity-Capillary Free Surface Flows
This paper describes the effect of surface tension on various nonlinear free surface flow problems. Accurate numerical solutions are presented for the flow past a bubble in a tube, the cavitating flow past a curved obstacle and gravity capillary elevation solitary waves. Each flow is characterized by a continuum of solutions when surface tension is neglected. It is shown that there is a discrete set of solutions when surface tension is taken into account.
KeywordsSurface Tension Free Surface Solitary Wave Periodic Wave Froude Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beale, J. T., Comm. Pure Appl. Math. (to appear).Google Scholar
- Korteweg, D. J. and de Vries, G., 1895, Phil. Mag., 39: 422.Google Scholar
- Romero, L., 1982, Ph.D. thesis, California Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Sun, S. M., 1991, J. Math. Anal. Appl. (to appear).Google Scholar
- Vanden-Broeck, J.-M., 1991a, Phys. Fluids, (in press).Google Scholar
- Vanden-Broeck, J.-M., 1991b, Phys. Fluids, (in press).Google Scholar
- Vanden-Broeck, J.-M., 1991c, Phys. Fluids, (submitted).Google Scholar
- Wilton, J. R., 1915, Phil. Mag. 29: 688.Google Scholar