Taurine Deficiency: A Rationale for Taurine Depletion
Investigators concerned with the metabolism of taurine are confronted by two distinct aspects of the problem. The first concerns the function of taurine at the molecular level and the second concerns those factors that set the limits of taurine supply and demand as they affect taurine depletion and deficiency. This review discusses the latter in terms of the comparative aspects of taurine metabolism that facilitate our understanding of taurine deficiency.
KeywordsBile Acid Retinal Degeneration Sulphur Amino Acid Bile Acid Conjugation Hypo Taurine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Hayes, K.C., Stephan, Z.F., Sturman, J.A., 1980, Growth de-pression in taurine-depleted infant monkeys, J. Nutr., 110: 119–125.Google Scholar
- 5.Jacobsen, J.G., and Smith, L.H., 1968, Biochemistry and physiology of taurine and taurine derivatives, Physiol. Revs., 48: 424–511.Google Scholar
- 6.O’Donnell, J.A., III, Rogers, W.R., and Morris, J.G., 1980, Effect of diet on plasma taurine in the cat, J. Nutr., 110: (in press).Google Scholar
- 14.Sturman, J.A., Vitamin B6 and sulfur amino acid metabolism, in: “Vitamin B6 Analytical Methodology and Criteria for Assessing Nutritional Status,” R.D. Reynolds and J.E. Laklem, eds., Plenum Press, New York (in press) 1981.Google Scholar
- 15.Sturman, J.A., and Hayes, K.C., 1980, The biology of taurine in nutrition and development, Adv. Nutr., 3: 231–299.Google Scholar
- 16.Truswell, A.S., McVeigh, S., Mitchell, W.D., and Bronte-Stewart, B., 1965, Effects in man of feeding taurine on bile acid conjugation and serum cholesterol levels, J. Athero. Res., 5: 526532Google Scholar
- 17.Watkins, J.B., Jarvenpaa, A.L., Raiha, N., Szczepanik, V.P., Klein, P.D., Rassin, D.K., and Gaull, G.E., 1979, Regulation of bile acid pool size: Role of taurine conjugates, Ped. Res., 13: 410 (Abstract).Google Scholar