Part of the Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology book series (AEMB, volume 139)
Are the Pharmacological Actions of Taurine Related to its Physiological Functions?
KeywordsCalcium Binding Calcium Transport Gaba Release Purkinje Fiber Sulfur Amino Acid
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Altura, B.M., Altura, B.T., Carella, A., and Turlapaty, P.D.M.V., 1980, Adverse effects of artificial buffers on contractile responses of arterial and venous smooth muscle, Brit. J. Pharmacol., 207–214.Google Scholar
- 5.Bigwood, E.J., 1962, Protein deficiency and aminoaciduria in Kwashiorkor, in Central Africa, Nutritio et Dieta, 4: 17–50.Google Scholar
- 6.Chesney, R.W., Jax, D.K., Scriver, C.R., and Mohyuddin, F., Taurine transport in mammalian kidney, in: “Taurine in Neurological Disorders,” R. Huxtable and A. Barbeau, Raven Press, New York (1978) pp. 73–94.Google Scholar
- 7.Chovan, J.P., Kulakowski, E.C., Sheakowski, S., and Schaffer, S.W., 1980, Calcium regulation by the low-affinity taurine binding sites of cardiac sarcolemma, Mol. Pharmacol., 17: 295–300.Google Scholar
- 8.Collins, G.G.S., On the role of taurine in the mammalian nervous system, in: “Essays in Neurochemistry and Neuropharmacology,” M.B.H. Youdim, W. Lovenberg, D.F. Sharman and J.R. Lagnado, eds., John Wiley, London (1977), pp. 43–72.Google Scholar
- 9.Gruener, R., Bryant, H., Markovitz, D., Huxtable, R., and Bressler, R., Ionic actions of taurine on nerve and muscle membranes: Electrophysiologic studies, in; “Taurine,” R. Huxtable and A. Barbeau, eds., Raven Press, New York (1976), pp. 225–242.Google Scholar
- 11.Harogaya, S., and Schwartz, A., 1969, Rate of calcium binding and uptake in normal animal and failing human cardiac muscle, Card. Res., 25: 781–794.Google Scholar
- 13.Jacobsen, J.G., and Smith, L.H., 1968, Biochemistry and Physiology of taurine and taurine derivatives, Physiol. Rev., 48: 424–511.Google Scholar
- 14.Kramer, J.H., Chovan, J.P., and Schaffer, S.W., The effect of taurine on calcium paradox and ischemic heart failure, Am. J. Physiol., in press.Google Scholar
- 15.Krnjevic, K., and Puil, E., Electrophysiological studies on actions of taurine, in: “Taurine,” R. Huxtable and A. Barbeau, Raven Press, New York (1976), pp. 179–189.Google Scholar
- 16.Lamb, A.J., Naewbanij, J., and Anzano, M.A., 1979, Altered taurine metabolism in vitamin A deficiency, Fed. Proc., 38: 762 (Abstract).Google Scholar
- 18.Turlapaty, P.D.M.V., Altura, B.T., and Altura, B.M., 1979, Tris (hydroxymethyl) aminomethane inhibits calcium uptake in vascular smooth muscle, Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 551: 459–462.Google Scholar
- 19.Williamson, M.B., and Passman, J.M., 1960, Excretion of taurine during healing of experimental wounds, Clin. Chem., 6: 140–147.Google Scholar
© Plenum Press, New York 1982