Electrophysiological Effects of Taurine in Cardiac Purkinje Fibers and Myocardial Taurine Loss during Ischemia. Is There a Relationship?
Interest in a role for taurine in the maintenance of normal electrophysiology of the heart originated from the experiments of Read and Welty (16) and later, Chazov and colleagues (1). These workers showed that exogenous taurine was capable of causing the disappearance or reduction in severity of arrhythmias, principally premature ventricular contractions, in whole animals or isolated hearts administered toxic doses of catecholamines or glycosides. The proposed mechanisms for these antiarrhythmic effects of taurine have not received uniform acceptance by workers in the field, and the subject is clearly in need of much investigation.
KeywordsElectrophysiological Effect Purkinje Fiber Taurine Release Taurine Content Left Circumflex Coronary Artery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chazov, E.I., Malchikova, L.S., Lipina, N.V., Asafov, G.B., and Smirnov, V.N, 1974, Taurine and electrical activity of the heart, Girc. Res., 34, 35 (Suppl. III): 11–21.Google Scholar
- 4.Crass, M.F., III, and Lombardini, J.B., 1978, Release of tissue taurine from the oxygen-deficient perfused rat heart, Proc. Soc. Exptl. Biol. Med., 157: 486–488.Google Scholar
- 5.Diacono, J., and Dietrich, J., 1976, Effects of taurine on the transmembrane ionic currents of rat and guinea pig ventricular fibers, Il. Farmaco-Ed. Sci., 31: 277–283.Google Scholar
- 6.Dolara, P., Ledda, F., Mugelli, A., Mantelli, L., Zilletti, L., Franconi, F., and Giotti, A., 1978, Effect of taurine on calcium, inotropism and electrical activity of the heart, in: “Taurine and Néurological Disorders,” A. Barbeau and R.J. Huxtable, eds., Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 9.Huxtable, R.J., Chubb, J., and Azari, J., 1980, Physiological and experimental regulation of taurine content in the heart, Federation Proc., 39: 2685–2690.Google Scholar
- 10.Jennings, R.B., Wartman, W.R., and Zudyk, Z.E., 1957, Production of area of homogenous myocardial infarction in dog, AMA Arch. Path., 63: 580–585.Google Scholar
- 11.Kass, R.S., and Tsien, R.W., 1976, Control of action potential duration by calcium ions in cardiac Purkinje fibers, J. Gen. Physiol., 67: 599–617.Google Scholar
- 13.Kocsis, J.J., Kostos, V.J., and Baskin, S.I., 1976, Taurine levels in the heart tissues of various species, in: “Taurine,” R. Huxtable and A. Barbeau, eds., Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 14.Nathan, R.D., and DeHaan, R.L., 1979, Voltage clamp analysis of embryonic heart cell aggregates, J. Gen. Physiol., 73: 175–198.Google Scholar
- 17.Read, W.0., and Welty, J.D., 1976, Effect of taurine on the action potential of guinea pig papillary muscle, in: “Taurine,” R. Huxtable and A. Barbeau, eds., Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar