Electron Wiggling Influence on Optical Guiding in a FEL
When a light beam travels along a free electron laser amplifier, the beam cross section is modified by the counteracting effects of diffraction and interaction with the electron beam. In particular, diffraction can be overcome by a combination of refraction and gain. In a sufficiently long undulator unstable beam shape, independent of the initial distribution (guided mode), may be eventually reached.
KeywordsWave Equation Complex Refractive Index Beam Cross Section Driving Current Space Harmonic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.M. Tang and P. Sprangle, in “Physics of Quantum Electronics”, vol. 9, eds. S. F. Jacobs, G. T. Moore, H. S. Piloff, M. Sargent III, M. O. Scully and R. Spitzer, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA (1982) p. 627Google Scholar
- 2.E. T. Scharlemann, A. M. Sessler and J. S. Wurtele, Proc. Int. Work- shop on Coherent and Collective Properties in the Interaction of Relativistic Electrons and Electromagnetic Radiation, Como, Italy (1984);Google Scholar
- 5.A. Cutolo, S. V. Benson and J. M. Madey, Real time processing of picosecond pulses: application to FEL (preprint)Google Scholar
- 6.N. M. Kroll, in “Physics of Quantum Electronics”,Addison Wesley, Reading, (1978) p. 115Google Scholar
- 8.R. H. Pantell, E. Fontana, J. Feinstein, Wave guiding by a wiggling FEL beam, talk given at the 7th International FEL Conference, Tahoe City, CA (1985)Google Scholar
- 9.J. D. Lawson, “The Physics of Charged Particle Beams”, Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford (1978) p. 119Google Scholar
- 10.T. C. Marshall, “Free Electron Lasers”, Macmillan, New York (1985)Google Scholar
- 11.S. Solimeno, B. Crosignani, P. Di Porto, “Guiding, Diffraction and Confinement of Optical Radiation”, Chap. 8, Academic Press, Orlando (1986)Google Scholar
- 12.S. Solimeno, Yu-Juan Chen and A. M. Sessler, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Report (1987) (unpublished)Google Scholar
- 13.A. W. Snyder and J. D. Love, “Optical Waveguide Theory”, Chapman and Hall, London (1983) p. 338Google Scholar
- 14.M. Xie and D. A. G. Deacon, N. I. M. A 250, 389 (1986)Google Scholar