A Search for GUT Monopoles with Mica Track Etch Detectors
Given the astrophysical bounds on monopole flux implied by survival of the Galactic magnetic field1, it is quite difficult to carry out meaningful searches for GUT monopoles. To improve significantly upon the Parker limit with direct searches using conventional techniques (superconducting loops, scintillation counters, He-CH4 proportional counters) would require detector areas of the order of 104 m2, and collection times in excess of several years. An attractive alternative scheme which will be described in the present paper, would be to use an unconventional particle detector of area 10−3 m2 which has been in operation for over 108 years.
KeywordsEtch Rate Capture Cross Section Fission Track Grand Unify Theory Etchable Track
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E.N. Parker, these proceedings.Google Scholar
- 2.R.L. Fleischer, P.B. Price and R.M. Walker, Nuclear Tracks in Solids: Principles and Applications, University of California Press, Berkeley (1975).Google Scholar
- 3.S.P. Ahlen, P.B. Price and G. Tarle, Physics Today, 34, No. 9 (1981).Google Scholar
- 5.W.A. Deer, R.A. Howie and J. Zussman, Rock Forming Minerals, Vol. 3, Sheet Silicates, Longmans, Green and Co. Ltd., London (1962).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Goebel, Proc. Monopole Seminars, ed. D. Cline, Univ. of Wisconsin, p. 51 (1981).Google Scholar
- 12.K. Olaussen, H.A. Olsen, P. Osland and N. Ouerbo, DESY preprint 83-041.Google Scholar
- 13.P.B. Price, S. Guo, S.P. Ahlen and R.L. Fleischer, Phys. Rev. Lett., in press (1984).Google Scholar
- 15.E.N. Alexeyev et al., Proc. 18th Inter. Cosmic Ray Conf., Bangalore, India 5, 52 (1983).Google Scholar
- F. Kajino et al., Proc. 18th Inter. Cosmic Ray Conf., Bangalore, India 5, 56 (1983).Google Scholar
- E.M. Purcell in Magnetic Monopoles, ed., R.A. Carrigan and W.P. Trower (Plenum, New York, 1983), p. 141Google Scholar
- 19.T.F. Walsh, P. Weisz and T.T. Wu, DESY preprint 83-022.Google Scholar
- 23.S. Parke and N. Kroll, private communication (1983).Google Scholar