Cluster beam analysis by time of flight mass spectrometry and simultaneous deposition on a support with subsequent imaging by a transmission electron microscope is described in the first part of the paper. 10–15 Å CsCl clusters, deposited onto glass substrates at room temperature, grow to small particles with thousands of angstroms in size. These results leaded to the use of an instrument with imaging capabilities on a much smaller size scale. The scanning tunneling microscope as a new tool for cluster research could be established. Using this instrument, gold and silver clusters on graphite have been imaged with atomic resolution. Diffusion and growth of individual clusters has been observed. Possible influences of the microscope on the deposited clusters are discussed.
KeywordsScanning Tunneling Microscope Tunneling Current Charge Density Wave Atomic Resolution Scanning Tunneling Microscope Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Proceedings of the “Workshop on Atomic Structure and Properties of of Small Particles”, tfickenburg, Arizona, 1986, special issue of “Ultramicroscopy”, to appearGoogle Scholar
- 3.S. Iijima, J. Electr. Micros. 34, 249 (1985);Google Scholar
- 4.“Metal Clusters in Catalysis”, H. Knozinger, B.C. Gates, and L. Guczi, ed., (Elsevier, New York, 1985)Google Scholar
- 5.For reviews of free cluster research see: Surf. Sci. 156, Parts 1–2 (1985); Z. Phys. D — Atoms, Molecules and Clusters — Vol.3 (1986); Proc. of the “1st Int. Workshop on Physics of Small Systems”, Isle of Wangerooge (FRG) 1986, publ. in “Lecture Notes in Physics”, publ. by Springer (1986); Proc. of the “1st NEC Symp. on Fundamental Approach to New Materials Phases — Microclusters —, Tokyo/Hakone, Japan, (Springer), 1986Google Scholar
- 6.R. Pflaum, D. Schild, K. Sattler, E. Recknagel, G. Hegenbart and F. Granzer, to be publishedGoogle Scholar
- 23.H.J. Mamin, E. Ganz, D.W. Abraham, R.E. Thomson and J. Clarke, subm. to Phys. Rev. BGoogle Scholar
- 24.I.P. Batra, N. Garcia, H. Rohrer, H. Salemink, E. Stoll and S. Ciraci, Surf. Sci., in printGoogle Scholar
- 25.D. Tomanek, S.G. Louie, H.J. Mamin, D.W. Abraham, R.E. Thomson, E. Ganz and J. Clarke, submitted for publicationGoogle Scholar
- 28.U. Dürig, J.K. Gimzewski, D.W. Pohl and R. Schütter, submitted for publicationGoogle Scholar
- 32.D.W. Basset, in “Surface Mobilities on Solid Materials” (ed. by Vu Thien Binh), NATO ASI Series, B, Vol. 86, Plenum Press, New York and London, 1983Google Scholar
- 34.D. Cox, talk given at this conferenceGoogle Scholar