Electron Diffraction Study of Supersonically Generated Clusters
Clusters of cyclopropane, n-butane, octafluorocyclobutane, neopentane, and hexafluorobenzene were produced in flows with neon carrier gas through a Laval nozzle. All gave liquid-like diffraction patterns except for C4F8 which gave Debye-Scherrer rings corresponding to 90 Â crystals. The algorithm RISM accounted qualitatively but not quantitatively for the structures of the liquid-like clusters, perhaps because the clusters are too cold and dense for the approximations in RISM to be satisfied.
KeywordsStructure Function Laval Nozzle Electron Diffraction Study Crystalline Cluster Molecular Fluid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Y. Z. Barshad, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Michigan (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.D. E. Williams, Acta Cryst. A30:71 (1974).Google Scholar
- 9.D. E. Williams and D. J. Houpt, Acta Cryst. B42:286 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.C. L. Yaws, “Physical Properties, a Guide,” McGraw-Hill, New York (1977).Google Scholar
- 12.Y. Z. Barshad and L. S. Bartell, to be published.Google Scholar
- 13.L. S. Bartell, L. Harsanyi, and E. J. Valente, Proceedings of this symposium.Google Scholar
- 14.G. T. Furakawa, R. E. McCoskey, and M. L. Reilly, J. Res. Nat. Bur. Stds. 52:11 (1954).Google Scholar
- 18.C. E. Klots, Phys. Rev. Lett, (submitted).Google Scholar
- 19.J. P. Dumas, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris C. 284:25C (1977).Google Scholar
- 21.L. S. Bartell, L. Sharkey, and X. Shi, to be published.Google Scholar