Laser Vaporization and Photoionization of Group IV and V Intermetallic Clusters
Sn/Bi and Pb/Sb mixed-metal clusters have been produced in the gas phase with laser vaporization and studied with laser photoionization mass spectroscopy. Magic numbers are observed for certain neutral cluster species which are isoelectronic to stable post transition metal cluster ions studied previously in condensed phases. This correspondence between gas phase and condensed phase clusters has not been observed previously, and may have significant implications for the stability and structure of gas phase clusters.
KeywordsLaser Vaporization Neutral Cluster Phase Cluster Isoelectronic Analog Polyhedral Borane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. D. Morse, Chem. Rev., to be published.Google Scholar
- 8a).E. L. Muetterties and W. H. Knoth, “Polyhedral Boranes,” Marcel Dekker, New York, 1968;Google Scholar
- 10.R. N. Grimes, “Carboranes,” Academic Press, New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- 11b).F. A. Cotton and R. A. Walton, “Multiple Bonds Between Metal Atoms,” J. Wiley and Sons, New York, 1982;Google Scholar
- 16.R. G. Wheeler, K. LaiHing, W. L. Wilson and M. A. Duncan, Chem. Phys. Lett, in press.Google Scholar