Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Thyroid Testing Strategies
Over the past 14 years the techniques of clinical decision analysis and cost-effectiveness analysis have been introduced to medicine, and within the last decade these tools have been adopted by academic laboratory scientists. In today’s environment, the laboratory director must consider the introduction of new or enhanced laboratory tests as a comparative problem: how does the novel procedure or analyte fit into both the clinical information stream and in the milieu of existing tests?1 Although a considerable literature deals with problems of technical accuracy and precision in analytic laboratory medicine, this is not true for problems of clinical efficacy and economy.
KeywordsAssure Ferritin Peritonitis Hypothyroidism Decis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M.C. Weinstein, Cost-effectiveness analysis for medical practices: Appropriate laboratory utilization, in: “Logic and Economics of Clinical Laboratory Use”, E.S. Benson and M. Rubin, eds., Elsevier--North Holland Inc., New York (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.G.A. Gorry, Decision analysis: Principles for clinical application, in: “Logic and Economics of Clinical Laboratory Use”, E.S. Benson and M. Rubin, eds., Elsevier-North Holland Inc., New York (1978).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Büttner, Optimization of laboratory testing, in: “Logic and Economics of Clinical Laboratory Use”, E.S. Benson and M. Rubin, eds., Elsevier--North Holland Inc., New York (1978).Google Scholar
- 8.J.R. Beck and F.A. Meier, Bayesian strategies in spontaneous bacterial peritonitis: Integration of test selection into clinical decision analysis, Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 44(suppl. 171): 97 (1984).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Büttner, Measuring the efficiency and effectiveness of clinical laboratory tests, in: “Optimal Use of the Clinical Laboratory”, O. Zinder, ed., Karger, Basel (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.M.H. Zweig, J.R. Beck, W.L. Collinsworth et al., “Assessment of Clinical Sensitivity and Specificity of Laboratory Tests”, National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards Document GP10-P, Villanova, PA (1987).Google Scholar