Light Scattering Study of Adsorption of Surfactant Molecules at Oil-Water Interface
- a) Flat Interfaces
Interfacial tension has been deduced from the spectrum of the light scattered by the interface. The results are relative to water-toluene-sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS)-butanol mixtures either in the two phase, or in the three phase region of the phase diagram. Values down to 10−3 dynes/cm have been measured. Measurements down to 10−5 — 10−6 dynes/cm are expected to be achievable with this technique.
- b) Microemulsions
The intensity and the autocorrelation function of light scattered by a microemulsion have been investigated for the water in oil type microemulsions. We studied two mixtures: water-SDS-cyclohexane-pentanol and water-SDS-toluene-butanol. We obtain information about droplet size (radius of the aqueous core, hydro-dynamic radius) and about interaction forces between the droplets (from osmotic compressibility and diffusion coefficient data). The role of the nature of oil and the influence of salt on these parameters is also discussed.
KeywordsSodium Dodecyl Sulfate Interfacial Tension Droplet Size Virial Coefficient Surface Viscosity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. N. Healy, R. L. Reed and D. G. Stenmark, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 16, 147 (1976).Google Scholar
- 4.D. Langevin and J. Meunier, in “Photon Correlation Spectroscopy and Velocimetry,” H. Z. Cummins and E. R. Pike, eds., Plenum Press, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- 5.A. A. Calje, W.G.M. Agterof, and A. Vrij, in “Micellization, Solubilization and Microemulsions,” Vol. 2, K. L. Mittal, ed., Plenum Press, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Griesmar and D. Langevin, Proceedings of the Conference on “Physicochimie des amphiphiles,” Bordeaux, 1978.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Lalanne, J. Biais, B. Clin, A. M. Bellocq, and B. Lemanceau, J. Chim. Phys., 75, 236 (1978).Google Scholar
- 11.B. U. Felderhof, J. Phys. (A), 11, 929 (1978).Google Scholar
- 12.A. A. Graciaa, J. Lachaise, A. Martinez, M. Bourrel, and C. Chamber, CRAS, 282B, 547 (1976).Google Scholar
- 14.P. N. Pusey, J. Phys. (A), 8, 1433 (1975).Google Scholar