Optimal Salinity of Polymer Solution in Surfactant-Polymer Flooding Process
A systematic study of the effects of the salinity of connate water and polymer solution on oil-displacement by aqueous and oleic surfactant formulations was carried out. For both types of surfactant formulations, the maximum oil recovery was observed when the salinity of the polymer solution was at the optimal salinity of the preceding surfactant formulation. It is shown that the processes occurring at the surfactant slug-polymer solution mixing zone dominate the oil recovery efficiency. Polymer solution having the optimal salinity of the preceding surfactant formulation assures that the interfacial tension of oil ganglia or middle phase micro-emulsions with polymer solution will remain low. The low inter-facial tension together with adequate mobility control displaces the surfactant slug in a piston-like manner.
KeywordsPolymer Solution Interfacial Tension Connate Water Optimal Salinity Sand Pack
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. I. Chou, Dissertation, University of Florida, 1980.Google Scholar
- 2.R. N. Healy and R. L. Reed, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 14, 491 (1974).Google Scholar
- 3.P. F. Boneau and R. L. Clampit, J. Pet. Tech., 29., 501 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.R. N. Healy and R. L. Reed, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 17, 129 (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.C. J. Glover, M. C. Puerto, J. M. Maerker, and E. L. Sandvik, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 19, 183 (1979).Google Scholar
- 6.S. P. Gupta and S. P. Trushenski, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 19, 116 (1979).Google Scholar
- 7.G. W. Paul and H. R. Froning, J. Pet. Tech., 25, 957 (1973).Google Scholar
- 8.K. S. Chan and D. O. Shah, SPE 7869, Paper presented at SPE International Symposium on Oilfield and Geothermal Chemistry, Houston, TX, January 22-24, 1979.Google Scholar
- 9.V. W. Reid, F. G. Longman and E. Heinerth, Tenside, 4, 212 (1967).Google Scholar
- 10.J. J. Rathmell, F. W. Smith, S. J. Salter and T. R. Fink, SPE 7067, Paper presented at SPE Improved Oil Recovery Symposium, Tulsa, OK, April 16-19, 1978.Google Scholar