The Effect of Microemulsion Composition on the Adsorption of Petroleum Sulfonates on Berea Sand/Montmorillonite Clay Adsorbents
The adsorption from microemulsion of two petroleum sulfonates, PDM-334 and TRS 10-410, on Berea sand/montmorillonite clay adsorbents has been studied to determine: 1) the effect of microemulsion composition, specifically its relative oil and brine content, on sulfonate adsorption; 2) the effect of adsorption on the microemulsion composition and interfacial tension behavior. Whereas the degree of sulfonate adsorption can be determined by conventional methods (e.g. UV spectroscopy), one must utilize a microemulsion property which is a sensitive function of the relative oil and brine content of the microemulsion in order to determine the adsorption-induced changes in the microemulsion composition. This can be accomplished by the use of the microemulsion specific refraction.
KeywordsClay Surfactant Montmorillonite Refraction Butanol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. W. Gale and E. I. Sandvik, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 191 (1973).Google Scholar
- 2.J. B. Lawson and R. E. Dilgren, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 75 (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.F. J. Trogus, T. Sophany, R. S. Schechter, and W. H. Wade, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 337 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.A. W. Adamson, “Physical Chemistry of Surfaces,” Interscience, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Somasundaran and H. S. Hanna, SPE Paper 7059, SPE Symposium on Improved Oil Recovery, Tulsa (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.C. J. Glover, M. C. Puerto, J. M. Maerker, and E. I. Sandvik, SPE Paper 7053, SPE Symposium on Improved Oil Recovery, Tulsa (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.S. P. Trushenski, in “Improved Oil Recovery by Surfactant and Polymer Flooding,” D. O. Shah and R. S. Schechter, eds., Academic Press, New York, 1977.Google Scholar
- 9.R. N. Healy and R. L. Reed, Soc. Pet. Eng. J., 129 (1977).Google Scholar
- 10.CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 57th edition, 1976–1977.Google Scholar
- 11.B.K.G. Theng, “The Chemistry of Clay-Organic Reactions,” John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1974.Google Scholar