Interfacial Rheological Properties of Crude Oil/Water Systems
It has been shown that a study of crude oil/water interfacial rheology can be used to investigate crude oil emulsion stability and rationalize the effect of chemical demulsifiers. Both kinetic factors relevant to droplet coagulation and the mechanical resistance to coalescence which gives rise to permanent emulsion stability can be studied and defined by these techniques. The effects of crude oil type, temperature and aqueous phase changes can be followed and used to pinpoint emulsion problems that may arise in a practical situation.
KeywordsInterfacial Film Film Pressure Wilhelmy Plate Interfacial Length Dilatational Modulus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. J. Jones, E. L. Neustadter, and K. P. Whittingham, J. Canadian Pet. Tech., 17, 100 (1978).Google Scholar
- 2.T. J. Jones, E. L. Neustadter, and K. P. Whittingham, Proceedings of the International Conference on Colloid and Surface Science, E. Wolfram, ed., Budapest, Hungary, September 15–20, 1979.Google Scholar
- 3.C. E. Brown, E. L. Neustadter, and T. J. Jones, 3rd International Conference on Surface and Colloid Science, Stockholm, Sweden, August 1979.Google Scholar
- 4.R.J. R. Cairns, D. M. Grist, and E. L. Neustadter, SCI Symposium Theory and Practice of Emulsion Technology, Brunei University, September 16–18, 1974.Google Scholar
- 6.K. P. Whittingham, D. M. Grist, and E. L. Neustadter, Paper SPE 7819, Soc. Pet. Engr. of AIME, Dallas, Texas, 1978.Google Scholar
- 7.F. C. Goodrich, “Progress in Surface and Membrane Science,” Vol. 7, Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 8.J. Reisberg and T. M. Doscher, Prod. Monthly, 21, 43 (1956).Google Scholar
- 9.C. E. Brown, E. L. Neustadter, and K. P. Whittingham, Symposium on Enhanced Oil Recovery by Displacement with Saline Solutions, Britannic House, London, May 20, 1977.Google Scholar
- 14.D. E. Graham, “Structure of Protein Films and Their Role in Stabilising Foams and Emulsions,” Thesis, 1976.Google Scholar
- 15.E. H. Lucassen-Reynders and J. Lucassen, in “Advances in Colloid and Interface Science,” Vol. 2, Elsevier, Amsterdam, March 1970.Google Scholar