Ultrastructure of Amyloid Fibrils in Alzheimer’s Disease and Down’s Syndrome
Ultrastructure of amyloid fibrils in senile plaques of the brains with Alzheimer’s disease and adult Down’s syndrome has not yet been reported in detail. In the present study, in addition to the electron microscopic examination of tissue specimens, replicas of amyloid fibrils made by a quick freezing method ( Heuser et al. 1979 ) were examined.
KeywordsPrion Protein Senile Plaque Amyloid Fibril Scrapie Prion Protein Quantal Transmitter Release
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cohen AS, Shirahama T and Skinner M (1982) Electron microscopy of amyloid, in “Electron Microscopy of Proteins vol. 3,” Hams JR (ed.) Academic Press, New York, pp 165–206Google Scholar
- Epstein CJ (1983) Down’s syndrome and Alzheimer’s disease:implications and approaches. In “Banbury Report 15; Biological Aspects of Alzheimer’s Disease” Katzman R (ed.) Cold Spring Harbor, New York, pp169–182Google Scholar
- Schlote W (1965) Polarisationen, optische und elektromikroskopische Beobachtungen bei “drusiger “ Degeneration der Hirngefasse im Senium, Proc 5th Int Congress Neuropathol, Zulch 490–494Google Scholar
- Terry RD, Gonatas NK and Weiss M (1964) Ultrastructural studies in Alzheimer’s presenile dementia. Am J Pathol 44:269–283Google Scholar
- Wisniewski H and Terry RD (1973) Reexamination of the pathogenesis the senile plaque. Prog Neuropathol 11:1–6Google Scholar