Localization of Prealbumin mRNA in Fetal and Adult Mice
We searched for the cellular sites of prealbumin mRNA synthesis in fetal and adult mice by in situ hybridization technique. As early as at the 10th day of gestation (the earliest time point examined), prealbumin mRNA was detected in several different types of fetal cells, such as endo-dermal cells of the visceral yolk sac, tela choroidea, the predecessor of the choroid plexus, and hepatocytes. In the adult mice, prealbumin mRNA was localized in hepatocytes, choroid plexus epithelial cells, and inner and outer nuclear layers and ganglion cell layer of the retina. These observations suggest the possibility that prealbumin may have a function in neuronal systems different from its known functions concerning the plasma transport of both retinol and thyroxine.
KeywordsAdult Mouse Ganglion Cell Layer Outer Nuclear Layer Endodermal Cell cRNA Probe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J. E. Smith and D. S. Goodman, Retinol-binding protein and the regulation of vitamin A transport, Fed. Proc. 38:2504–2509 (1979).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Ide, S. Mita, S. Ikegawa, S. Maeda, K. Shimada, and S. Araki, Identification of carriers of mutant prealbumin gene associated with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy type 1 by Southern blot procedures: study of six pedigrees in the Arao district of Japan, Hum. Genet. 73:281–285 (1986).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.T. Tsuzuki, S. Mita, S. Maeda, S. Araki, and K. Shimada, Structure of the human prealbumin gene, J. Biol. Chem. 260:12224–12227 (1985).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Maeda, S. Mita, S. Araki, and K. Shimada, Structure and expression of the mutant prealbumin gene associated with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, J. Biol. Med. 3:329–338 (1986).Google Scholar
- 8.S. Wakasugi, S. Maeda, K. Shimada, H. Nakashima, and S. Migita: Structural comparisons between mouse and human prealbumin, J. Biochem. 98:1707–1714 (1985).Google Scholar
- 9.S. Wakasugi, S. Maeda, and K. Shimada: Structure and expression of the mouse prealbumin gene, J. Biochem. 100:49–58 (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.T. Murakami, Y. Yasuda, S. Mita, S. Maeda, K. Shimada, T. Fujimoto, and S. Araki, Prealbumin gene expresson during mouse development studied by in situ hybridization, Cell Differ. in press (1987).Google Scholar
- 13.K. Inada, H. Baba, and R. Okamura, Quantitative determination of human aqueous protein by crossed immunoelectrophoresis, Jpn. J. Ophthalmol. 28:1–8 (1984).Google Scholar