Prealbumin Gene Expression in Control Subjects and Individuals with Familial Amyloidotic Polyneuropathy
We investigated the distribution of prealbumin mRNA in various tissues of a control subject and an individual with familial amyloidotic polyneuro-pathy (FAP), using a cloned human prealbumin cDNA as a probe. Prealbumin mRNAs were detected in the total RNAs from liver and choroid plexus of brain. The levels of prealbumin mRNAs in the livers of control subjects and those of individuals with FAP were much the same. Because all the individuals with FAP so far examined were heterozygous for the prealbumin gene, carrying one normal and one mutant gene, the levels of the normal and mutant prealbumin mRNAs in the liver and the brain tissue containing choroid plexus were separately estimated and were found to be approximately equal.
In previous study, we found that there are two unexpected open reading frames (ORFs), ORF1 in the first and ORF2 in the third intron of the human prealbumin gene. In the present study, we investigated the presence of mRNAs transcribed from these two ORF regions. No RNA species hybridizable to the ORF probes was detected in the various tissues examined.
KeywordsChoroid Plexus Amyloid Fibril Familial Amyloidotic Polyneuropathy Human Liver cDNA Library Oligodeoxyribonucleotide Probe
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.M. Ide, S. Mita, S. Ikegawa, S. Maeda, K. Shimada, and S. Araki, Identification of carriers of mutant prealbumin gene associated with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy type I by Southern blot procedures: study of six pedigrees in the Arao district of Japan, Hum. Genet. 73:281 (1986).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.T. Tsuzuki, S. Mita, S. Maeda, S. Araki, and K. Shimada, Structure of the human prealbumin gene, J. Biol. Chem. 260:12224 (1985).Google Scholar
- 8.S. Maeda, S. Mita, S. Araki, and K. Shimada, Structure and expression of the mutant prealbumin gene associated with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, Mol. Biol. Med. 3:329 (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.S. Mita, S. Maeda, K. Shimada, and S. Araki, Analyses of prealbumin mRNAs in individuals with familial amyloidotic polyneuropathy, J. Biochem. 100:1215 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.S. Wakasugi, S. Maeda, and K. Shimada, Structure and expression of the mouse prealbumin gene, J. Biochem. 100:49 (1986).Google Scholar