Isolated Atrial Amyloid (IAA): A Cardiac Amyloid of Endocrine Origin
In the aging heart a localized amyloid restricted to the atria frequently occurs. This amyloid is designated isolated atrial amyloid (IAA). In the atria a natriuretic hormone, known as atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP), is produced. In this study, we show that antisera to IAA and to ANP both stain atrial muscle cells and atrial amyloid. Furthermore, a small protein purified from IAA had an amino acid sequence identical to that of ANP.
KeywordsAmyloid Deposit Amyloid Fibril Atrial Natriuretic Factor Amino Acid Sequence Analysis Atrial Myocytes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P. Westermark, C. Wernstedt, E. Wilander, D. W. Hayden, T. D. O’Brien, and K. H. Johnson, Amyloid fibrils in human insulinoma and islets of Langerhans of the diabetic cat are derived from a novel neuropeptide-like protein also present in normal islet cells, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 84:3881 (1987).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.J. P. Henry, and J. W. Pearce, The possible role of cardiac atrial stretch receptors in the induction of changes in urine flow, J. Physiol. (London) 131:572 (1956).Google Scholar
- 8.G. Thibault, R. Garcia, J. Gutkowska, J. Bilodeau, C. Lazure, N. G. Seidah, M. Chretien, J. Genest, and M. Cantin, The propeptide Asnl-Tyrl26 is the storage form of rat atrial natriuretic factor, Biochem. J. 241:265 (1987).Google Scholar
- 11.B. Johansson, C. Wernstedt, and P. Westermark, Atrial natriuretic peptide deposited as atrial amyloid fibrils, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun, (in press).Google Scholar
- 12.P. Westermark, G. Cornwell III, B. Johansson, and J. B. Natvig, Senile cardiac amyloidosis, in: “Amyloid and Amyloidosis” G. G. Glenner, P. P. Costa, A. F. Freitas, eds. p. 217, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam (1980).Google Scholar
- 13.F. E. Dische, C. Wernstedt, G. T. Westermark, P. Westermark, M. B. Pepys, J. A. Rennie, S. G. Gilbey, and P. J. Watkins, Insulin as an amyloid-fibril protein at sites of repeated insulin injections in a diabetic, Submitted.Google Scholar
- 17.R. J. Cody, S. A. Atlas, J. H. Laragh, S. H. Kubo, A. B. Covit, K. S. Ryraan, A. Shaknovich, K. Pondolfino, M. Clark, M. J. F. Camargo, R. M. Scarborough, and J. A. Lewicki, Atrial natriuretic factor in normal subjects and heart failure patients. Plasma levels and renal, hormonal, and hemodynamic responses to peptide infusion, J. Clin. Invest. 78:1362 (1986).CrossRefGoogle Scholar