Amyloid Fibril Protein in Finnish Hereditary Amyloidosis
Immunocytochemical methods were used to study the nature of the amyloid deposits in the Finnish form of familial amyloidosis, FAP type IV. Commercial antisera to human plasma transthyretin (prealbumin) did not stain the amyloid deposits, but positive staining was obtained with antibodies raised against transthyretin-related amyloid fibril whole protein. The amyloid deposits also stained with antiserum to serum amyloid P component, but did not stain with antisera to retinol-binding protein, amyloid A protein, γ-trace protein, β2-microglobulin, or immunoglobulin light chains. The serum level of serum transthyretin was significantly decreased in the Finnish FAP patients. The results suggest that the amyloid fibril protein in Finnish hereditary amyloidosis is related to transthyretin.
KeywordsAmyloid Deposit Amyloid Fibril Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy Corneal Dystrophy Immunoglobulin Light Chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Meretoja, Familial systemic paramyloidosis with lattice dystrophy of the cornea, progressive cranial neuropathy, skin changes and various internal symptoms. A previously unrecongnized heritable syndrome, Ann. Clin. Res. 1: 314 (1969).Google Scholar
- 10.M. R. Wallace, F. E. Dwulet, E. C. Williams, P. M. Conneally, and M. D. Benson, Identification of a new hereditary amyloid prealbumin variant, Tyr-77, associated with autosomal dominant amyloidosis, Am. J. Hum. Genet. 39: A 22 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.W. C. Nichols, F. E. Dwulet, and M. D. Benson, Apolipoprotein A I in Iowa type hereditary amyloidosis, Clin. Res. 35: 595A (1987).Google Scholar
- 14.D. M. Livingston, Immunoaffinity chromatography of proteins, in: “Methods in Enzymology (Affinity Techniques; Enzyme purification, Part B) vol 34, W. B. Jakoby, and M. Wilchek, eds, Academic Press, Orlando FL (1974).Google Scholar
- 15.C. Ehnholm, A-M. Teppo, J. J. Ohisalo, and C. P. J. Maury, Human high-density lipoprotein associated amyloid A protein. Structural characteristics, relation to apoAI and AII concentrations and plasma clearance characteristics in the rat, Scand. J. Rheumatol. 14: 221 (1984).Google Scholar
- 16.J. Meretoja, T. Hollmen, T. Meretoja, and R. Penttinen, Partial characterization of amyloid proteins in inherited amyloidosis with lattice corneal dystrophy and in secondary amyloidosis, Med. Biol. 56: 17 (1978).Google Scholar