Control of Vapor Recompression Distillation Columns
This chapter examines the dynamics and control of direct vapor recompression columns. Two specific, industrially important separations are looked at in detail. These are the ethanol-water system and a hydrocarbon system of commercial interest, such as might be found in a petroleum refinery (e.g., a propylene-propane splitter). For both systems there are substantial economic incentives for using vapor recompression.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davis, R. T. and Corripio, A. B. (1974). Dynamic simulation of variable speed centrifugal compressors. In Advances in Instrumentation. Research Triangle Park, NC: Instrument Society of America.Google Scholar
- Meili, A. (1987). Experience with heat pump system for energy saving in distillation column. InDistillation and Absorption 1987. London: European Federation of Chemical Engineering.Google Scholar
- Meili, A. and Stuecheli, A. (1987). Distillation column with direct vapor recompression. Chem. Eng. 94, 133–143.Google Scholar
- Mosler, H. A. (1974). Control of sidestream and energy conservation distillation towers. Presented at AIChE Continuing Education Meeting on Industrial Process Control, Tampa, FL.Google Scholar
- Muhrer, C. A. (1989). Study of the dynamics and control of vapor recompression columns. Ph.D. Thesis, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, C. S., Andersen, H. W., Branbrand, H., and Jorgensen, S. B. (1988). Adaptive dual composition control of a binary distillation column with a heat pump. Presented at IFAC Symposium on Adaptive Control of Chemical Processes, ADCHEM-88, Lyngby, Denmark.Google Scholar
- Null, H. R. (1976). Heat pumps in distillation. Chem. Eng. Prog. 73, 58–64.Google Scholar
- Quadri, G. P. (1981). Use of heat pump in P-P splitter. Part 1: Process Design. Part 2: Process Optimization.Hydrocarbon Process. 60, 119–126, 147–151.Google Scholar
- Robinson, C. S. and Gilliland, E. R. (1950). Elements of Fractional Distillation. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Shinskey, F. G. (1979). Process Control Systems. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar