The Effect of Lithium on Release of Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Activity in Vitro
Blood neutrophil concentration increases when lithium carbonate (Li) is given to hematologically normal subjects (O’Connell, 1970; Shopsin and Friedman, 1971). Recent reports (Hammond and Dale, 1979) have suggested that Li may increase blood neutrophils in gray collie dogs with cyclic hematopoiesis and may attenuate the neutropenia induced by cyto-toxic chemotherapy (Stein et al., 1977; Fehir and Rossof, 1977; Lyman et al., 1978; Joyce and Chervenick, 1979). Following reports (Tisman et al., 1973) that lithium enhances granulocyte production in vitro and increases release of colony stimulating activity (CSA) (Joyce and Chervenick, 1975a), Rothstein et al., (1978) demonstrated increased granulocyte production and expanded blood granulocyte pools in psychiatric patients receiving Li. Malloy et al., (1978) studied normal subjects given Li and found increased marrow neutrophils and neutrophil progenitor cells and increased levels of urinary CSA. Increased levels of urine CSA have been reported in patients with Felty’s syndrome given Li (Gupta et al., 1976) and addition of Li to media conditioned by murine lung tissue has been demonstrated to enhance release of CSA (Harker et ah, 1977). Blood monocytes and mitogen stimulated lymphocytes are major sources of CSA in man (Chervenick and LoBuglio, 1972; Cline and Golde, 1974). The increased release of CSA from leukocytes in the presence of Li forms the basis of this report.
KeywordsColony Formation Feeder Layer Human Marrow Plastic Tissue Culture Dish Colony Stimulate Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fehir, K.M. and Rossof, A.H., 1977, Lithium carbonate protects canine granulopoiesis from damage by cyclophosphamide, Clin. Res. 26:434A.Google Scholar
- Hammond, W.P. and Dale, D.C., 1979, Canine cyclic hematopoiesis: treatment with lithium, Clin. Res. 27:461A.Google Scholar
- Joyce, R.A. and Chervenick, P.A., 1975a, Effect of lithium on the release of colony stimulating activity from blood leukocytes, Proc. Am. Soc. Hematol. 18:126.Google Scholar
- Joyce, R.A. and Chervenick, P.A., 1979, Lithium effect on granulopoiesis following vinblastine, Clin. Res. 27:388A.Google Scholar
- Lyman, G.H., Williams, C.C, and Preston, D., 1978, A prospective randomized study of the effect of lithium carbonate on the granulocytopenia and incidence of infection associated with intensive chemotherapy and radiation therapy for undifferentiated small cell bronchogenic carcinoma, Blood 52:228 (Supplement 1).Google Scholar
- Malloy, E.L., Zauber, N.P., and Chervenick, P.A., 1978, The effect of lithium on blood and marrow neutrophils, Blood 52:228 (Supplement 1).Google Scholar
- O’Connell, R.A., 1970, Leukocytosis during lithium carbonate treatment, Int. J. Pharmacopsychiatry 4:30.Google Scholar