Clinical Experience with Lithium in Aplastic Anemia and Congenital Neutropenia
The ability of lithium salts to stimulate granulopoiesis in hematologically normal subjects with psychiatric disorders (Shopsin et al., 1971) encourages attempts to use lithium to stimulate granulopoiesis in patients with neutropenia. We have studied the in vivo and in vitro effects of lithium salts in aplastic anemia and congenital neutropenia in order to establish the mode of action of lithium and to evaluate its therapeutic role in neutropenic disorders. This paper summarizes clinical experience with lithium in two European centers. The hematological effects of treatment are defined. In addition, in several patients bone marrow culture studies were carried out in order to develop in vitro tests that could predict clinical response to lithium. Ten patients with hypoplastic anemia were seen and treated at the Westminster Hospital and Westminster Children’s Hospital in London and two patients with congenital neutropenia are reported from the Hopital Necker des Enfants Malades, Paris. In addition, seven hematologically normal patients taking lithium for psychiatric disorders were studied at the Westminster Hospital.
KeywordsAplastic Anemia Lithium Treatment Lithium Salt Bone Marrow Culture Severe Aplastic Anemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrett, A.J., Faille, A., Balitrand, N., Ketels, F., and Najean, Y., 1979, Bone marrow culture in aplastic anemia, J. Clin. Path., in press.Google Scholar
- Charron, D., Barrett, A.J., Faille, A., Alby, A., Schmidt, T., and Degos, L., 1977, Lithium in acute myeloid leukemia, Lancet 1:1387.Google Scholar
- Dacie, J.V. and Lewis, S.M., 1975, Practical Hematology, 5th Edition, p. 12, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Sharkis, S.J., Ahmed, A., Sensenbrenner, L.L., Jedrezejczak, W.W., Goldstein, A.L., and Sell, K.W., 1978, The regulation of hemopoiesis: Effect of thymosin or thymocytes in a diffusion chamber, in “Experimental Hematology Today, 1978,” p. 17–22, (S.J. Baum and G.D. Ledney, eds.) Springer-Verlag, New York.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shopsin, B., Friedmann, R., and Gershon, S., 1971, Lithium and leucocytosis, Clin. Pharmacol. Therap. 12:923.Google Scholar
- Singer, J.W., Brown, J.E., James, M.C., Doney, K., Warren, R.P., Storb, R., and Thomas, E.D., 1978, Effect of peripheral blood lymphocytes from patients with aplastic anemia on granulocyte colony growth from HLA-matched and mismatched marrows: Effect of transfusion sensitization, Blood 52:37.PubMedGoogle Scholar