Total Normal Emittances of Some Real Surfaces at Cryogenic Temperatures
Thermal radiation even at low temperatures is important when conduction and convection heat transfer are minimized, as under certain vacuum situations found in space simulators and cryogenic storage vessels. But in such cases, the radiative heat transfer cannot be estimated with a high degree of accuracy. The uncertainty depends on the available information about the radiation properties.
KeywordsTest Section Cryogenic Temperature Copper Substrate Real Surface Carbon Resistor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. H. Hawks, Ph.D. Dissertation, Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind. (1969).Google Scholar
- 3.E. M. Sparrow, “Radiant Emission, Absorption and Transmission Characteristics of Cavities and Passages,” NASA Sp-55, S. Katzoff, editor (1965), p. 103.Google Scholar
- 5.J. A. Hulbert and G. O. Jones, Proc. Phys. Soc, 68, Pt. 2, (431B):801 (1955).Google Scholar
- 6.R. L. Merriam, Ph.D. Dissertation, Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind. (1968).Google Scholar
- 7.J. R. Schornhorst, Ph.D. Dissertation, Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind. (1967).Google Scholar
- 8.G. G. Gubareff, J. E. Janssen, and R. H. Torborg, Thermal Radiation Properties Survey, Honeywell Research Center, Minneapolis, Minn. (1960).Google Scholar
- 9.E. G. Cravalho, G. A. Domoto, and C. L. Tien, “Measurements of Thermal Radiation of Solids at Liquid-Helium Temperatures,” AIAA Paper No. 68–774 presented at AIAA 3rd Thermophysics Conference, Los Angeles, Calif. (June 24–26, 1968).Google Scholar
- 10.H. T. Betz, O. H. Olson, B. D. Schurin, and J. C. Morris, “Determination of Emissivity and Reflectivity Data on Aircraft Structural Materials—Part II,” WADC Technical Report 56–222, Part II, ASTIA Document No. 202493 (1957).Google Scholar
- 11.K. Schocken, editor, “Optical Properties of Satellite Materials—The Theory of Optical and Infrared Properties of Metals,” NASA TN D-1523 (1963).Google Scholar
- 12.C. L. Tien and E. G. Cravalho, Chem. Eng. Prog. Symp., 64 (87): 56 (1968).Google Scholar