Recent Advances and Applications of Freeze-Drying Technology
Despite the advances which have been made during the past thirty years, freeze-drying continues to be more of an art than a science. Although the value of the material processed annually must be on the order of hundreds of millions of dollars, the process of freeze-drying is still greatly underresearched. Lacking especially is a completely satisfactory unified body of theory which would enable a protocol to be drawn up prior to processing on the basis of a few known properties or parameters of the material to be dried. In spite of these restraints, there exist excellent techniques of instrumentation and process control  and powerful statistical methods and mathematical models to predict the shelf-life of freeze-dried material [2,3]. Although these studies enable the processor to work on a firm empirical basis, unfortunately they are still widely ignored or misunderstood.
KeywordsInfluenza Virus Human Serum Albumin Measle Virus Evaporative Cool Product Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.D. Greiff and W. Rightsel, J. Immunol. 94:395 (1965).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Tschudin, Helvet. Phys. Acta 19:91 (1946).Google Scholar
- 6.H. Kramers and S. Stemerding, Appl. Sci. Res. A3:73 (1951).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Dushman, in: Scientific Foundations of Vacuum Technique, 2nd ed. (J. M. Lafferty, ed.), John Wiley, New York (1962).Google Scholar
- 8.C. Andrewes, Viruses of Vertebrates, The Williams and Wilkins Company, Baltimore, Maryland (1964).Google Scholar
- 9.B. I. Wilner, A Classification of the Major Groups of Human and Other Animal Viruses, 2nd ed., Burgess Publishers Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota (1965).Google Scholar
- 12.D. Greift and W. A. Rightsel, Appl. Microbiol. 16:835 (1968).Google Scholar
- 13.D. Greift, unpublished studies.Google Scholar
- 14.D. Greift and W. A. Rightsel, Appl Microbiol. 17:830 (1969).Google Scholar
- 15.B. Billing, R. Haslam, and N. Wald, Ann. Clin. Biochem. 8:21 (1971).Google Scholar
- 16.D. Greift and M. Myers, in: Aspects Theoriques et Industriels de la Lyophilisation (L. Rey, ed.), Hermann et Cie, Paris, France (1965), p. 351.Google Scholar
- 17.D. Greift and W. Rightsel, in: Aspects Theoriques et Industriels de la Lyophilisation (L. Rey, ed.), Hermann et Cie, Paris, France (1965), p. 369.Google Scholar