Macroscopic Description of Ferroelectric Chiral Smectic C* Liquid Crystals
The generalized Landau model is reviewed, which describes thermodynamic behavior of ferrolectric chiral smectic C* liquid crystals. Polarization and tilt temperature dependences are studied. For small biquadratic tilt-polarization coupling as compared to the bilinear one, the dependences deviate only slightly from the classic square root behavior, while for large biquadratic coupling both tilt and polarization develop S-shape behavior. The most convenient way to analyze the data is to study the tilt-polarization relation. In dimensionless form this nonlinear dependence is determined by a single parameter. The model is extended to allow for the polarization sign reversal, which has been observed for some systems recently.
KeywordsSpontaneous Polarization Free Energy Density Induce Polarization Smectic Layer Ferroelectric Liquid Crystal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. B. Meyer, L. Liebert, L. Strzelecki, and P. J. Keller, J. Phys. (Paris) lettres 36, L69 (1975).Google Scholar
- 2.P. E. Cladis, andH. R. Brand, this meeting.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Carlsson, B. Zeks, A. Levstik, C. Filipic, I. Levstik and R. Blinc, Phys. Rev. A36, (1987) (in press).Google Scholar
- 6.S. A. Pikin and V. L. Indenbom, Uspekhi Fiz. Nauk 125, 251 (1978).Google Scholar
- 13.C. Filipic, A. Levstik, I. Levstik, R. Blinc, B. Zeks, M. Glogarova, and T. Carlsson, Ferroelectrics (in press).Google Scholar
- 16.A. Levstik, T. Carlsson, C. Filipic, and B. Zeks, to be published.Google Scholar
- 19.D. S. Parmar, M. A. Handschy, and N. A. Clark, poster presented at the 11th International Liquid Crystal Conference, Berkeley, 1986.Google Scholar
- 20.J. W. Goodby, E. Chin, J. M. Geary and J. S. Patel, poster presented at the 11th International Liquid Crystal Conference, Berkeley, 1986.Google Scholar