Macroscopic Description of Ferroelectric Chiral Smectic C* Liquid Crystals
The generalized Landau model is reviewed, which describes thermodynamic behavior of ferrolectric chiral smectic C* liquid crystals. Polarization and tilt temperature dependences are studied. For small biquadratic tilt-polarization coupling as compared to the bilinear one, the dependences deviate only slightly from the classic square root behavior, while for large biquadratic coupling both tilt and polarization develop S-shape behavior. The most convenient way to analyze the data is to study the tilt-polarization relation. In dimensionless form this nonlinear dependence is determined by a single parameter. The model is extended to allow for the polarization sign reversal, which has been observed for some systems recently.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.P. E. Cladis, andH. R. Brand, this meeting.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Carlsson, B. Zeks, A. Levstik, C. Filipic, I. Levstik and R. Blinc, Phys. Rev. A36, (1987) (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.C. Filipic, A. Levstik, I. Levstik, R. Blinc, B. Zeks, M. Glogarova, and T. Carlsson, Ferroelectrics (in press).Google Scholar
- 16.A. Levstik, T. Carlsson, C. Filipic, and B. Zeks, to be published.Google Scholar
- 19.D. S. Parmar, M. A. Handschy, and N. A. Clark, poster presented at the 11th International Liquid Crystal Conference, Berkeley, 1986.Google Scholar
- 20.J. W. Goodby, E. Chin, J. M. Geary and J. S. Patel, poster presented at the 11th International Liquid Crystal Conference, Berkeley, 1986.Google Scholar