Characteristics of Elastic Vibrations Excited in Rocks by Uniaxial Loading
In the seismo-acoustic method for studying stress and fracture in rock, we analyze changes in the character of elastic vibrations, either excited in the specimens by an external source or arising during the formation of fracture surfaces. The use of external excitation is based on the fact that the elastic moduli of rocks increase when the rocks are subjected to static loads . By measurements of physical parameters related to the elastic moduli (i. e., velocity of elastic wave propagation, frequency of natural vibrations of shaped pieces of rock), we can thus estimate changes of stress in the rock [1–4]. The use of fracture-surface formation is based on the fact that the characteristics of elastic pulses accompanying fissure formation and growth change in a way which reflects the fracture dynamics [5–7], The present paper examines results of laboratory investigations of both types.
KeywordsCoal Seam Elastic Wave Rock Burst Rock Specimen Flexural Vibration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu. V. Riznichenko, O. I. Silaeva, et al. Seismo-acoustic methods for studying stresses in rocks and rock specimens, Tr. Geofiz. Inst. Akad Nauk SSSR, No. 34(1956).Google Scholar
- 2.O. I. Silaeva. Method for studying the elastic properties of rock specimens under pressure, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geofiz., No. 2 (1959).Google Scholar
- 3.V. I. Myachkin and N. P. Solov’eva. Study of the distribution of elastic waves at ultrasonic frequency — on small bases in rock in conditions of natural stratification, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geofiz., No. 1.(1960).Google Scholar
- 4.A. G. Konstantinova. Natural vibration frequencies of rock specimens in relation to uniaxial load, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geofiz., No. 1(1962).Google Scholar
- 5.A. G. Konstantinova. The dynamics of sudden rock bursts of coal and gas in pits, according to data from seismo-acoustic observations, Izv, Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geofiz., No. 2(1959).Google Scholar
- 6.M. S. Antsyferov, A. G. Konstantinova, and L. B. Pereverzev. Seismo-Acoustic Investigations in Coal Mines, Moscow, Izd. Akad. Nauk AN SSSR (1960).Google Scholar
- 7.A. G. Konstantinova. Time distribution of the energy of elastic pulses during the fracture of rocks, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geofiz., No. 11 ( 1960).Google Scholar
- 8.A. G. Konstantinova. Relation between the energy of elastic pulses arising in the fracture of solids and the stress and fissure dimensions, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geofiz., No. 2(1962).Google Scholar
- 9.A. Griffith. The phenomena of rupture and flow in solids, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. (London), Sec. A (1921), p. 221.Google Scholar