Detection of the Spherical Size Distribution of Hormone Secretory Granules from Electron Micrographs
Optical micrographs are obtained from illuminating histological specimens cut into sections. Electron micrographs are obtained by the preparation of ultrathin sections and subsequent projection by the electron-optical illumination. Techniques developed in the field of stereology guide us to the way to statistically recover structural information from the pictorial information that is retained in the sectioned and/or projected figures.
KeywordsUltrathin Section Chord Length Size Distribution Analysis Method Specimen Spherical Representation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baba, K., Amari, H., and Watanabe, Y., “Extraction of Ribosome Feature by Digital Filter,” in Applied Electron-microscopy for Medical Science and Biology (Y. Yamada, et al., eds.), Tokyo, Ishiyaku-shuppan (1973), pp. 529–535 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Baba, K., and Okayasu, T., “A Study on the Computerization of Quantitative Electron Microscopy: Application of the Distance Function to Ribosome Count,” in Recent Progress in Electron Microscopy of Cell and Tissues (E. Yamada, et al., eds.), Tokyo, Igaku-shoin, Ltd. (1976), pp. 305–315.Google Scholar
- Kameya, T., Shimosato, Y., Adachi, I., Abe, K., Kasai, N., Kimura, K., and Baba, K., “Immunohistochemical and Ultrastructural Analysis of Medullary Carcinoma of the Thyroid in Relation to Hormone Production,” Am. J. Pathol. 89(3):555–569 (1977).Google Scholar
- Kimura, K., Hayashi, T., Miyamoto, K., Kanzaki, Y., and Baba, K., “Morphometry (V): Stereology of the Sphere,” The Cell 10(2): 467–473 (1978).Google Scholar
- Kimura, K., Kameya, T., and Baba, K., “Automatic Analysis with Computer Aid on the Frequency Distribution of Growth Hormone Granule Size,” J. Electron Microsc. 25:194 (1976).Google Scholar
- Kimura, K., Miyamoto, K., Kanzaki, Y., Ohgaki, M., and Baba, K., “Morphometry (IV): Stereology of the Sphere,” The Cell 9(8): 283–294 (1977).Google Scholar
- Pease, D. C., Histological Techniques for Electron Microscopy, (2nd ed.) Academic Press (1964).Google Scholar
- Scheil, E., “Statistiche Gufügeunfersuchungen, I,” Z. Metallk. 27:199 (1935).Google Scholar
- Spector, A. G., “Distribution Analysis of Spherical Particles in Non-Transparent Structures,” Zavod. Lab. 16(2):173 (1950).Google Scholar