Transport Studies for Candidate Near-Surface Repostory Sites
logistics, costs and accident rates of road and rail transport
feasibility of linking sites to the rail network
non-nuclear environmental impact
feasibility of sea transport to coastal repository sites
feasibility of transporting very large items of LLW.
The work provided information on the scale and type of transport operation required for LLW disposal in the UK.
the traffic volumes as a whole would not be excessive and would only become significant in the vicinity of the repository sites;
transport of LLW by road was the least expensive and most flexible mode;
transport costs were dominated by operating costs;
it was feasible to link all the sites to the main rail network;
for coastal sites sea transport of LLW including very large items of LLW was feasible combined with the appropriate road connections. The results will generally be applicable to the Nirex assessment of potential deep repository sites.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- British Rail, 1987, Rail Facility Improvement and Feasibility Study in Nirex Report No. 40.Google Scholar
- Burness, Corlett and Partners, 1987, Transportation of Whole Magnox Heat Exchangers by Sea to Bradwell and Killingholme — A Preliminary Feasibility Study in Nirex Report No. 39.Google Scholar
- Fletcher, A.M., Wear, F.J., Haselden, H., Shepard, J. and Tymons, B.J., 1986, The 1985 United Kingdom Radioactive Waste Inventory, in DoE Report No. DOE/RW/86/087Google Scholar
- Hunting Engineering Limited, 1987, Transport Study Associated with the Disposal of LLW in Near Surface Repositories — Rail and Road, in Nirex Report No. 38.Google Scholar
- JMP Consultants Limited, 1987, Transport Assessment — Road and Rail Near Surface Repository Project — Non Nuclear Environment Assessment, in Nirex Report No.41Google Scholar
- Nuclear Transport Limited/British Nuclear Fuels plc/James Fisher & Sons plc, 1987, Feasibility Study for Transporting Low Level Radioactive Waste by Sea, in Nirex Report No. 37.Google Scholar