Large Transport and Disposal Packages for Nuclear Power Station Decommissioning Waste
The decommissioning of nuclear power stations will generate radioactive waste components that are different in size and nature to the waste generated during the operation of their facilities. The packaging developed for operational waste is not appropriate to decommissioning waste and it is therefore necessary to develop alternative packaging. Packages for decommissioning waste will need to be larger in size and suitable for waste loading, handling, transport and direct disposal at a deep waste repository.
Consideration is given to the activities undertaken during decommissioning and the waste that this generates. The possible options for the transport of this material to a waste repository are identified as road, rail, or sea, or a combination of these. The restrictions on package design imposed by these transport modes and associated regulations are identified along with other design requirements. Consideration of these leads to the conclusion that the most appropriate package design is a top opening box 4m long, 2.4m wide and 1.8m high. This could be made from either steel or reinforced concrete and would have an internal volume of approximately 12m3 and a maximum weight of 65t. This box would be capable of transport by road, rail or sea.
KeywordsRoad Transport Nuclear Power Station Waste Loading Waste Package Statutory Instrument
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- International Atomic Energy Agency Safety Series 6, 1973, Revised Edition (As Amended). “Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Materials”Google Scholar
- International Atomic Energy Agency Safety Series 6, 1985, “Regulations for the Safe Transport of Radioactive Materials”Google Scholar
- Statutory Instrument No. 1017, 1978, “The Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations, 1978”.Google Scholar
- Statutory Instrument No. 1198, 1979, “The Motor Vehicles (Authorisation of Special Types) General Order 1979”.Google Scholar
- Statutory Instrument No. 1327, 1978, “The Motor Vehicles (Authorisation of Special Types) (Amendment) Order 1978”.Google Scholar