Trypsin/Chymotrypsin Inhibitors from Millets
Properties of purified proteinase inhibitors from the small-seeded grains, finger millet, sorghum, pearl millet, Italian millet, and barnyard millet are compared. The changes in the levels of inhibitory activities during germination and plant growth of finger millet and barnyard millet are discussed. The action of millet proteinase inhibitors on human and other animal pancreatic enzymes is detailed. The role of substrates in determining the magnitude of the inhibition of proteolytic enzymes by the millet inhibitors is emphasized.
KeywordsTrypsin Inhibitor Pearl Millet Othe Hand Finger Millet Bovine Trypsin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boisen, S. and Djurtoft, R. (1981). Trypsin inhibitor from wheat endosperm: Purification and characterization. Cereal Chem., 58, 460–463.Google Scholar
- Boisen, S. and Djurtoft, R. (1981 a). Trypsin inhbitor from rye endosperm: Purification and properties. Cereal Chem., 58, 194–198.Google Scholar
- Chandrasekher, G. and Pattabiraman, T. N. (1982). Natural plant enzyme inhibitors: Isolation and characterization of two trypsin inhibitors from bajra (Pennisetum typhoideum). Indian J. Biochem. Biophys., 19, 1–7Google Scholar
- Laskowski, M. and Laskowski, M., Jr. (1954). Naturally occurring trypsin inhibitors. In “Advances in Protein Chemistry”, M. L. Anson, K. Bailey and J. T. Edsall, eds., Academic Press, New York, Vol. 9, pp. 203–242.Google Scholar
- Liener, I. E. (1979). Protease inhibitors and lectins. Intl. Rev. Biochem., 27, 97–122.Google Scholar
- Odani, S., Koide, T., Ono, T. and Ohnishi, K. (1983). Structural relationship between barley (Hordeum vulgare) trypsin inhibitor and castor bean (Ricinus communis) storage protein. Biochem. J., 213, 543–545.Google Scholar
- Price, M. L. and Butler, L. G. (1980). Treatment of sorghum grains that reduce the assayable tannin content and their effect on the nutritional value of the grain. In “Polyphenols in Cereals and Legumes”, J. H. Hulse, ed., International Development Research Centre, Ottawa, Canada, pp. 39–42.Google Scholar
- Shivaraj, B. and Pattabiraman, T. N. (1981). Natural plant enzyme inhibitors. Characterization of an unusual alpha-amylase/trypsin inhibitor from ragi (Ekeusine coracana, Geartn). Biochem. J., 193, 29–36.Google Scholar
- Shivaraj, B., Rao, H. N. and Pattabiraman, T. N. (1982). Natural plant enzyme inhibitors. Isolation of a trypsin/alpha-amylase inhibitor and a chymotrypsin/trypsin inhibitor from ragi (Eleusine coracana) grain by affinity chromatography and study of their properties. J. Sci. Food Agric., 33, 1080–1091.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Udupa, S. L., Khanum, F. and Pattabiraman, T. N. (1984). Comparative study of the action of cereal protease inhibitors on human, bovine and porcine pancreatic enzymes. J. Indian Inst. Sci. 65(C), 1–9.Google Scholar