Calorimetry in the Supercollider ERA
The required precision, the event rates to be handled, and the radiation levels envisaged for experiments at proposed high-luminosity pp Supercolliders like the Eloisatron are a formidable challenge to detector technology. High quality calorimetry will be the key to success for such experiments. We review the requirements needed for calorimeters operating at a Supercollider, and the present state of the art concerning these devices. In the framework of the LAA project, an attempt is being made to develop a new type of calorimeter that could meet the Supercollider challenge. The goals and achievements of this project are discussed in some detail.
KeywordsEnergy Resolution Light Attenuation Attenuation Length Hadron Calorimeter Good Energy Resolution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Proceedings of the Workshop on Experiments, Detectors and Experimental Areas for the Supercollider, Berkeley (1987).Google Scholar
- 2.U. Amaldi, Physics and Detectors at the Large Hadron Collider and the CERN Linear Collider, Proceedings of the Workshop on Physics at Future Accelerators, La Thuile and Geneva (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Ansari et al. (UA2 Collaboration), Phys. Lett. 186 (1987) 452).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Wigmans, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A259 (1987) 389.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Wigmans, Calorimetry at the SSC, Proceedings of the Workshop on Experiments, Detectors and Experimental Areas for the Supercollider, Berkeley (1987) 608.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Wigmans, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A265 (1988) 273.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Akesson et al., Performance of the Uranium/Plastic Scintillator Calorimeter for the HELIOS Experiment at CERN, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A262 (1987) 243.Google Scholar
- 8.E. Bernardi et al., Performance of a Compensating Lead-Scintillator Calorimeter, preprint DESY 87–041 (1987).Google Scholar
- 9.P. Sonderegger, Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A257 (1987) 523.Google Scholar
- 10..P. Jenni et al., The High Resolution Spaghetti Hadron Calorimeter, in Report on the LAA Project, presented by A. Zichichi, vol. 2, 25 June 1987, p. 603; preprint NIKHEF-H/87–7.Google Scholar
- 12.J.M. Gaillard et al. (UA2 Collaboration), Proc. of the DPF Conf., Eugene, Oregon (1985) 912.Google Scholar
- 13.Radiation Levels in the SSC Interaction Regions, Task Force Report of the SSC Central Design Group, D.E. Groom, editor, Berkeley, June 1988.Google Scholar