On the Mode of Action of an LHRH Agonist in Man and Its Potential Use as Contraceptive
The isolation of LHRH (Schally et al., 1971; Burgus et al., 1971) was followed by the development of a large number of analogs (Vale et al., 1977). The compound D-Trp6-Pro9-N-Ethylamide LHRH (LHRHA) has a potency 144 times that of native LHRH in causing LH release in in vitro systems (Vale et al., 1977). However, when administered in vivo to the rat, “paradoxical” gonadal atrophy was observed (Tcholakian et al., 1978; Sandow et al., 1980).
KeywordsTestosterone Polypeptide Androgen Kelly Vale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berquist, D., Nillius, S. J., Bergh, T., Skarin, G., and Wide, L., 1979, Inhibitory effects of gonadotropin secretion and gonadal function in men during chronic treatment with a potent stimulatory luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone analogue, Acta Endocrinol. ( Kbh ) 91: 601–608.Google Scholar
- Burgus, R., Butcher, M., Ling, N., Monahon, M., Rivier, J., Vale, W., and Guillemin, R., 1971, Structure moleculaire du facteur hypothalamique ( LRF) d’origine ovine controlant la secretion de l’hormone gonadotrope hypophysaire de Luteinisation, C. R. Acad. Sci. [D] 273: 1611–1613.Google Scholar
- Clayton, R. N., Katikinei, M., Chan, V., Dufau, M. L., and Catt, K. J., 1980, Direct inhibition of testicular function by gonadotropin-releasing hormone: mediation by specific gonadotropin-releasing hormone receptors in interstitial cells, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 77: 4459–4463.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Evans, R. M., Doelle, G. C., Alexander, A. N., Uderman, H. D., and Rabin, D., 1984a, Gonadotropin and steroid secretory patterns during chronic treatment with a luteinizing hormone releasing hormone agonist analog in men, J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., in press.Google Scholar
- Linde, R., Doelle, G. C., Alexander, N., Kirchner, F., Vale, W., Rivier, J., and Rabin, D., 1981, Reversible inhibition of testicular steroidogenesis and spermatogenesis by a potent gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist in normal men: an approach toward the development of a male contraceptive, N. Engl. J. Med. 305: 663–667.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rivier, C., and Vale, W., Hormonal secretion of rats chronically treated with D-Trp6,Pro9-NEt-LRF, Life Sci. 25: 1065–1074.Google Scholar