Having described the common marital problems of medical students and doctors, and the treatment of these problems, I would like to talk about prevention now. What, if anything, can be done to decrease the frequency of marital distress in doctors as a group, as well as to lessen the anguish of marital upset for the individual doctor and his/her family? If any preventive measures are possible, are they intrinsic to the doctor’s psychological constitution as opposed to those stressful outside forces that impinge on the lives of medical students and doctors and upset marital health and homeostasis? Finally, where does the ultimate responsibility for ameliorative action lie? Does it lie with the particular student or doctor, with doctors as a group, with the directors of undergraduate and postgraduate training programs, or with the whole way of practicing medicine as it currently exists? Are all parties responsible in some way? I hope to be able to address, if not necessarily answer, all of these questions in this chapter.
KeywordsMedical Student Secondary Prevention Psychiatric Illness Tertiary Prevention Woman Physician
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Prevention in Psychiatry; Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary,” Modern Synopsis of Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry IV (4th ed.) eds. Harold I. Kaplan and Benjamin J. Sadock ( Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1985 ), 876.Google Scholar
- 2.Ibid., 877.Google Scholar
- 3.Ibid., 879.Google Scholar
- 4.Michael F. Myers, “The Medical Students of 1985: Toward Meeting Their Personal Needs,” Journal of The American Medical Women’s Association 40 (September/October 1985), 141-144.Google Scholar
- 6.Michael F. Myers, “Marital Distress among Resident Physicians,” Canadian Medical Association Journal 134 (May 15, 1986 ), 1117 - 1118.Google Scholar
- 7.Maureen Sayres, Grace Wyshak, Geraldine Denterlein, Roberta Apfel, Eleanor Shore, and Daniel Federman, “Pregnancy during Residency,” New England Journal of Medicine 314 (February 13, 1986), 418-423.Google Scholar