The Stereo Long-Playing (LP) Record
The stereo LP has rapidly declined in sales due to the immense success of the CD. Since 1947 to the present, however, the LP has represented a long period of compatibility between product and players in the history of consumer audio, exceeded only by the era of the 78 rpm disc in the early part of this century.
KeywordsSection View Variable Pitch Depth Control Tracking Angle Recording Engineering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Bogantz and J. Ruda, “Analog Disk Recording and Reproduction,” chapter 8 in K. Benson, Audio Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.D. Braschoss, “Disc Cutting Machine—Computer Controlled,” Radio Mentor, October 1966.Google Scholar
- 3.Disk Recording, vols. 1 and 2, Audio Engineering Society, New York ( 1980, 1981 ).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Eargle, “Record Defects,” Stereo Review, June 1967.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Eargle, “Performance Characteristics of the Commercial Stereo Disc,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 17, no. 4 (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.E. Fox and J. Woodward, “Tracing Distortion—Its Cause and Correction in Stereo Disc Recording,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 11, no. 4 (1963).Google Scholar
- 7.F. Hirsch and S. Temmer “A Real-Time Digital Processor for Disc Mastering Lathe Control,” paper presented at the 60th convention, Audio Engineering Society, May 1978.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Narma and N. Anderson, “A New Stereo Feedback Cutterhead System,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 7, no. 4 (1959).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Nelson and J. Stafford, “The Westrex 3D Stereo Disk System,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 12, no. 3 (1964).Google Scholar
- 10.O. Read and W. Welch, From Tin-Foil to Stereo, Sams, Indianapolis (1958).Google Scholar
- 11.J. Stafford, “Maximum Peak Velocity Capabilities of the Disc Record,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 8, no. 3 (1960).Google Scholar
- 12.J. Woodward and E. Fox, “A Study of Program-Level Overloading in Phonograph Recording,” J. Audio Engineering Society, vol. 11, no. 1 (1963).Google Scholar