Deep Level Measurements of Layers on Semi-Insulating GaAs Substrates by Means of the Photofet Method
Deep level measurements have been performed on three different types of sample: (l)Sn-doped layers diffused into SI-GaAs:Cr; (2) Sn-doped LPE-GaAs layers on SI-GaAs:Cr; and (3) Sn-doped layers diffused into high resistivity undoped LPE layers on SI-GaAs:Cr. Measurement technique was the PHOTOFET method , which monitors changes in Ids of a MESFET with respect to the energy of monochromatic light. The characteristics of the three types of sample are presented and related to trap behaviour, especially near interfaces. Deep traps at the interfaces between active layers and substrates may cause serious degradation of device performance. It appears that a buffer layer (sample type 3) is not always a good way of improving device behaviour.
KeywordsBuffer Layer Active Layer Sample Type Deep Trap Trap Charge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Tanimoto, M., Suzuki, K., Itoh, T., Yanai, H., Kaufmann, L.M.F., Nievendick, W. and Heime, K. (1977). Trans. IECE. 60-C, 698Google Scholar
- 3.Asbeck, P., Tandon, J., Sin, D., Fairman, R. and Welch, B. (1979). IEEE GaAs IC Symposium, Research Abstracts No. 14Google Scholar
- 4.Evans, C.A. and Dehne, V.R. (1979). IEEE GaAs IC Symposium, Research Abstracts No. 15Google Scholar
- 5.Forbes, L. and Chang, C.D. (1979). IEEE GaAs IC Symposium, Research Abstract No. 16Google Scholar
- 6.Simons, M. and King, E.E. (1979). IEEE GaAs IC Symposium, Research Abstract No. 35Google Scholar
- 7.Arnold, N., Dämbkes, H. and Heime, K. (1979). Ilth Int. Conf. on Solid State Devices, Tokyo. Digest of Techn. Papers, No. 89Google Scholar
- 11.Grimmeis, H.G. (1911). Ann. Rev. Mater. Sci., 7, 341Google Scholar
- 13.Asbeck, P., Tandon, J., Babcock, E. and Welch, B. (1979). 37th Annual Device Research Conference, Boulder, WP-A2Google Scholar
- 14.Bonjour, P., Castagne, R. and Pone, J.F. (1979). IEEE GaAs IC Symposium, Research Abstract No. 34Google Scholar